CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New ebc clutch installed after 3days slips? Wtf? Help plz

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ebc clutch installed after 3days slips? Wtf? Help plz

Hi first time post, long time reader, i have mostly found any problem and fixed base on this site but not this one. Ive searched around and have yet to find a decent fix to this issue. I have a 94 f2 with 8k miles, i did a ton of work on it this weekend including new battery, new ape cct, new front and rear brakes, new ebc friction plates (clutch), new seat and wheelie sprocket kit. Ok so my problem is everythings worked fine except after two days of riding i notice my clutch started slipping. New clutch just installed starts to slip wtf? I cannot figure out why. Any help would be appriciated. The clutch plate has new springs is set at 9ft lbs torque almost just past flush with the basket. New non synthetic oil 10w 40. (have heard of slipping issues with the syn oils) but i called a few guys they told me to replace the factory steel plates. Any input on this problem i would appriciate thanks in advance!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you did not replace the steel plates then I'd suggest starting there. What gear are you getting the most slip and is it slipping as you release the lever or is the clutch fully engaged and it's slipping under hard acceleration? Also, what was the ratio of new sprockets vs. old (ex. -1,+3). If you have dramatically reduced final drive ratio then heavy duty springs might also be in order.

The synthetic vs. non-synthetic is a bit of gobbldy goo invented by armchair idiots who don't ride or wrench. Synthetic oil IS dino oil. The oil to avoid is anything that says "energy conserving" in the classification circle on the back. Contains friction modifiers such as molybdenum and can cause a wet clutch to slip.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

And didn't mean to be rude but noticed you are at post #1! Welcome to the good ship Seabarf (CBRF)! Post up in the new member section and introduce yourself ... they'll wanna see pics of your ride so be prepared

Old 10-01-2009, 05:53 PM

dude u have my dream bike : )) i so tried to get finianced on the nightrod specail ed but failed and with what would ahve been my down payment i bought this f2!!! so anyway. after i first installed it, it was fine and then a few days down the rode i was riding and i notice it was slipping as i was passing a car furiously! lol so i drove home and checked it out the next day. today. now to answer your question, would the level is fully depressed and ill drop into first, let go of lever completly out and nothing happens. just a slite slite pull not even enough to stall it. so its basically like all the gears are slipping. i already order barrett plates but, i cant see this being the fix to this problem. any suggestions? or has anyone else had this issue before? -- replace clutch friction plates and not steel plates --> = slipping? btw the sprocket kit is -1 front +3 rear.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 PM

also ill have pics of my ride after i get those barret plates on cause right now the side fairing off. its nothing special cosmetically standard cbr f2 repainted gloss black last spring.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:56 PM

Maybe I am just stating the obvious, but did you adjust the clutch cable after installing the new friction plates? (two spots to adjust... at clutch lever and at clutch basket)

Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 PM

lol, ya i know i have no rep here yet and there are some complete morons out there let alone working on something as dangerous as a motorcycle...but yes it is attached and adjusted. i am a mechanical engineer not a moto tech guy but i can still add 2 and 2. 4 your knowledge i present to all my problem: clutch does not engage after 2 days from installation. after the initial install it worked just fine. i rode 70 miles no problem. then the next ride it slips. now does not engage. can this be because of steel plates?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Thanks. The Night Rod is cool -- no CBR but cool none the less

From what you are describing it very well could be the cable. I'd try adjusting it again -- there's a small sweet spot getting the clutch to engage. I always changed out the steels with the fibers so I don't know first hand if new fibers on old steels would result in bad slippage.

Did you soak the fibers in oil before installing?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 PM

you should walk us through the proccess of how you installed everything. Did you soak the new friction plates in oil before you installed them and how long? torque the springs to spec?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 AM

yes i soaked in new 10w40 oil for at least an hour. as for the walk thru::: removed right side fairings. removed the 8mm bolts holding the cable to the lever. removed the rest of the 8mm bolts surrounding the cover. removed the (4) 10mm lifter plater botls. removed plate, and swirly bar and old springs. removed staked 27mm nut. pulled basket out and the skinny friction plate. took new ebc plates out of oil, put back in place with the skinny one in first then the rest in the basket as according to manual. put everything back together the inverse way and allowed for 3-4 mm of freeplay at clutch lever. clutch use to engage for about 70 miles but now nothing. my question is can old steel plates cause a clutch to slip? im thinking after i did initail install the new friction plates took the last of what was left off the old steel plates. thats why they worked for a little bit and now there just toast.

Quick Reply: New ebc clutch installed after 3days slips? Wtf? Help plz