CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New custom f2 pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New custom f2 pics!

RSP, sent you a PM yesterday. Wanted to make sure you got it. Am interested in how you did the front end and what parts may fit. (trying to find measurements on all critical parts is somewhat challenging in the dead of winter here)

Mike

Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 PM

Yea i was wondering about the front end..is that a f2 front end that is molded or what??? Lol sorry im just very fascinated with your bike, its the most unique bike ive ever seen...let alone F2.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike was talking about the GSXR front end (forks/brakes)

The front fairing looks like it has been cut to accomodate R6 headlights.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 PM

Yes, I am referring to the GSXR forks and brakes. In some of his other posts he mentions having a 95 GSXR triple tree that has the proper stem for the CBR (41mm IIRC) He says the newer 06fork stem is larger, so he used the old triple tree. My questions would be;
Are the outer tube sizes the same for the 95 bikes as well as the newer 06-07 bikes?
What years are the same as the 95 bikes, ie 96-99 are the same, is 93-95 the same?
Do they (the olderGSXR forks)fit well onto the CBR and do the stops work?
Will the ignition switch mount and will you retain a steering lock?
Will the CBR clip ons work with the GSXR tubes, or will I need to machine them larger?
If I need to use the GSXR clip ons, will my throttle and all other accessories mount on the GSXR clip ons? (kill switch, turn signal etc)

I understand the need to use the newer GSXR front wheel because the forks are a bit wider. I like the three spoke rim a lot better anyway and would just powdercoat to match the bike. I'm just worried I won't be able to mount the ignition switch/key or that my stock clip on hardware won't convert over.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:06 PM
CBRF 2009 AOTY !!

ORIGINAL: Dj_Squatch

Sweet, thanks. great looking bike. I think im going to go for a 2004 F4i tail swap just because of my inability to weld and the cost difference...i have been thinking about a motor swap though....the 600cc f2 motor has a little over 20,000 miles on it, too much for a turbo i beleive, and the stock motor just doesnt have enough power for me anymore. How hard was your 900 swap? and what year of motor is it etc.? and would you recamend something else? Thanks
I am using a 98 900 motor. I had a 96 in it b4. Do a search for "900 motor swap" both Bindlesf2 and myself have posted all the info needed.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 PM
CBRF 2009 AOTY !!

This is the dash I am using. It is a Motogadget out of Germany. It is pricy but it was the only thing I could find that fit in the r6 fairing stay. It has mpg, rpm, temp, volts, odometer, trip odometer, timer, and a couple of other functions. It also has a sweeping tach across the top. The bottom part is a seperate unit called Motosign. It includes all the signal lights (turn, stand, nutral, oil, etc)

I'll try to get some pics of it lit up tomorrow.

The front fairing is a combination of a f2 and r6 uppers that I grafted together. Wasn't all that hard, I did it in a weekend.

Name:  000_0253.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  35.6 KB

Old 01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
CBRF 2009 AOTY !!

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

Yes, I am referring to the GSXR forks and brakes. In some of his other posts he mentions having a 95 GSXR triple tree that has the proper stem for the CBR (41mm IIRC) He says the newer 06fork stem is larger, so he used the old triple tree. My questions would be;
Are the outer tube sizes the same for the 95 bikes as well as the newer 06-07 bikes?
What years are the same as the 95 bikes, ie 96-99 are the same, is 93-95 the same?
Will the CBR clip ons work with the GSXR tubes, or will I need to machine them larger?
If I need to use the GSXR clip ons, will my throttle and all other accessories mount on the GSXR clip ons? (kill switch, turn signal etc)

I understand the need to use the newer GSXR front wheel because the forks are a bit wider. I like the three spoke rim a lot better anyway and would just powdercoat to match the bike. I'm just worried I won't be able to mount the ignition switch/key or that my stock clip on hardware won't convert over.
Where do I start. all gsxr inverted fork tubes are 50mm. The 95 has the same stem size as the f2, after that they are larger. If you use the 95 clamps, you will have to use 95 wheel(getting hard to find). Also, you would have to have some inserts machined for the 95 axle to work on the newer forks. I have a guy that does that. YOu can use a complete 95 setup if you can find one. I like the newer forks with the radial calipers. All this is why I recommend turning down the newer stem (learn from my troubles..lol)

You will have to grind off and remove the stops. You can drill holes and make new ones with bolts but I didn't bother (has never been an issue for me) You will also have to relocate your ignition. Therefore no steering lock. Don't worry, it doesn't stop theives anyways.I smoothed out the top of the clamp on mine. You will have to change the clip-ons to gsxr or any 50mm aftermarket clamps. I'm using LSL, I've had Vortex and stock in the past. Finally, you can use your stock switch housings on the bars.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more ???'s

Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: rsp919

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

Where do I start. all gsxr inverted fork tubes are 50mm. The 95 has the same stem size as the f2, after that they are larger. If you use the 95 clamps, you will have to use 95 wheel(getting hard to find). Also, you would have to have some inserts machined for the 95 axle to work on the newer forks. I have a guy that does that. YOu can use a complete 95 setup if you can find one. I like the newer forks with the radial calipers. All this is why I recommend turning down the newer stem (learn from my troubles..lol)

You will have to grind off and remove the stops. You can drill holes and make new ones with bolts but I didn't bother (has never been an issue for me) You will also have to relocate your ignition. Therefore no steering lock. Don't worry, it doesn't stop theives anyways.I smoothed out the top of the clamp on mine. You will have to change the clip-ons to gsxr or any 50mm aftermarket clamps. I'm using LSL, I've had Vortex and stock in the past. Finally, you can use your stock switch housings on the bars.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more ???'s
That info helped a ton. When you were doing the research, did you check any other years GSXRs? Like do 94 trees work? Since you mention that newer stems are larger, would you machine down the stem vs what you did with the 95 trees? I saw a post where you said that you couldn't use the stock rotors because of the 95 stem. I assume that if I went with the machined down stem, I would use the newer wheel as well as stock rotors and everything else from the new setup, vs trying to piece together something from a mix of years.

Never pulled a front end apart anyway, so how thick is that stem tube? (or is it solid?) Also, I have a 12 ton shop press that I use for bearings. Do you think something like that would work for the stem so that I could have someone machine it? (don't know how exactly they come apart.)

I have a used parts dealer about 15 minutes from work that i can hit up and take measurements. Just have to find my calipers and bring along a conversion sheet and a notebook. Better to do it all before it gets warm again and I won't want to have the bike down for any reason. Thanks for the info so far.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 PM
CBRF 2009 AOTY !!

Check out this link. different bike, but same mod. Maybe it will be of some help.

http://www.fjmods.btinternet.co.uk/MarcRittner2.htm

Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the link. It was a bit confusing until I read it three or four times. The whole Yamaha suffixes were the most confusing.

Anyway, I checked out a pile of stems today at the local parts place that just happens to have a bunch indoors. I wasn't able to find a new GSXR 600 or 750stem, but did look over an old CBR F2 stem and also found a newer GSXR 1000 stem. I see that the newer GSXR stems appear to be some pretty thick aluminum and press fit into the trees while the CBR stem looks like it is steel. I am not sure how the CBR stem is attached to the tree. Since I couldn't see a lip in the tube, I can only assume that it could be a mechanical fit.

I used my small tape measure that has a mm scale and from my untrained eye, it looked like the CBR stem was about 26mm where it goes through the head tube and the GSXR was somewhere around 28mm with a 30mm flare at the bottom where it gets press fit into the lower tree. Taking off 1mm would be no problem, but then machining the correct threads from an old one may prove difficult. I think it may be best to buy some bar stock and have a machinist make the stem from scratch, then press it into the old GSXR tree.

From everything I could think of, that would be very straightforward and probably the easiest way to be able to use everything off a newer bike without hassle.

Any opinions or thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: New custom f2 pics!