CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Needing info - conversion related

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing info - conversion related

how hard would it be to turn my 93 f2 into a fi f2 has anyone done this and if so how hard is it and is it worth it

Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that there have been guys who have adapted throttle bodies to fit on the F2, presumably from an F4i, and then of course you've got to modify the wiring harness, or modify the F4i's wiring harness for the bike, so that you can incorporate the ECU - the next idea would probably be to try and shoehorn an F4i engine in the F2 frame, and I'm not certain what complications that might involve.
Mine is only one opinion, but unless your dying to do this project to "tinker" with the idea, and/or are getting the necessary parts super-cheap to free, I would say it's not worth it, as early model RRs and F4is can be had for pretty decent prices.

Search the forum, though, because as I mentioned above, it seems that I've read before about this being done.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know for a fact the the F4i 600cc pistons are 2mm larger than the F2's(I am still doing my 637cc big bore with these pistons) and the F4i cam's are also larger too. So if the F4i ECU and throttle bodies are mated up to the F2's it would never run right without the motor choking on itself.
Honestly a great idea, but I wouldn't waste the energy in research, time to install or money to do it. I would rather have what others say an outdated slow dinosaur than a bike that doesn't run right or not at all.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 AM

Well, I'm not familiar with the F4i at all, and I don't know off the top of my head what size the throttle bodies are, but I ASSUME there would be an aftermarket offering for changing or making a custom map to lean things out, if necessary, but as we already agree - this just isn't worth the time, work, money, and potential frustration, to just end up with something that might not work right in the end.

blacken, I say get you a 2003 to 2006 RR, they are pretty cheap!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:27 PM

theres the problem evey one around here wants a mint for the 600rr or even the f4i 3000 for better and there beat up bikes i guess ill keep my f2 as it is

Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Words of advice; get money you want to spend on a newer bike, then find access to a readily available truck w/ ramps(especially in winter) and then start shopping around in the colder seasons for riders who are down on their luck and need monies for Xmas gifts etc. on ebay and craigslist. I guarantee you will find a bike cheaper than usual in these circumstances. I have seen and done this. You can always flip your purchase in the spring time for a bike you really want but couldn't afford earlier.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ditto - I'm already seeing good deals popping up around my area, and it's still in the 80's during the day.

buddy of mine is working a deal on a lightly used '07 1KRR right now, probably less than 5K.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:45 PM

Obviously i am new to this forum, although not to overall mechanics, and of course, a well understanding of how fuel injection works. First of all, let me introduce myself, Brian.

For anyone with any mechanical knowledge, even little experience and some tools, (access to a sawzall and/or torch, welder, wrenches, can make this modification work).

I have been to a lot of forums and it is always a pessimistic response like, DON'T DO IT, costs too much, or whatever else that i have heard/read.

Let me say first off that i ride/own a Turbo charged 2003, VFR 800. I am only using a Dynojet power commander to manage the fuel, while leaving the spark under factory control. Although it was my original intention use an ECU called Micro Squirt. I know many, if not all of you know or have heard of it, possibly some have experienced it on their Mustang/Camaro/Bike.

Well i purchased a Microsquirt for $325 online, brand new, free shipping, including a 3 foot harness. I decided to use the power commander on my VFR instead of the MS, because i did some bartering with a guy that left me a beat up 1992 F2 with 25,000 miles, a Snapon Toolbox, and $1,000.

The CBR F2 came to my garage with a Leo Vinci exhaust, UNI air filter, and carbs jetted, (BTW I will be getting rid of those at some point if someone would direct me to a good place in doing so). The CBR had obviously not been setup properly, or some other issue, possibly dirty, idk, and i didn't care, maybe it was over jetted. I rode it in this freezing winter and ran it through all the gears and assured that the transmission functioned, yet it was bogging down significantly, (smelled like excess fuel in my opinion).

So as it goes, i had a Microsquirt sitting in my cabinet, in the box, unused, and new. Now I was thinking, Hmm?? Well for 17 years i had been a tuner specifically for cars, although i had experience with a few Harley's, and Buehls, as well i had tuned them with great success.

The issue between the throttle bodies and carbs is this; the center two barrels are a few mm closer together, so what do i do? Nothing, the boots, assuming that the clamps are loosened all the way, because there very stiff, although clamps loose, will slide right over, so why not? But wait! I had another issue. Keeping in mind the upper boot is notched appropriately at 12 o'clock. I did keep them clocked appropriately although had to cut off the nubs for the lower clamp side to re-clock clamps to be accessible. Not a big deal.

The real issue is that the throttle position sensor wouldn't fit, or clear the right hand frame, within the frame, Hmm? OK, resolved! So I grabbed a hold of my handy ole Sawzall and started cutting a rectangular notch for clearance. Now if you have the engine out this is very easy, in fact you can take the notched out metal, flip it over, and weld it in backwards, leaving just two end pieces to fill in about 1/2 inch wide, and 2 1/2 inch long, both ends.

I did not want to pull the engine so i chose to grab my handy roll of duck tape and cover the intake openings and carefully cut out with no intentions of reusing any of the metal, due to the fact i cant cut it away with the engine in the way, but yes, i still cut a satisfactory opening in which i welded in a 1/4 inch plate to reinforce.

That was the most difficult issue, yet it took me approximately 1 hour, as well i took all the fairing panels front to back, seat, gas tank, air box, carbs, exhaust, linkage all apart in an additional 1.5 hours, not rushing just focusing. Keep in mind i had never owned a CBR before and this one, whe i am finished will be ridden by my fiance.

I purchased the throttle bodies off eBay for $55 including injectors, rails, air box, TPS. i then I bought the injector harness an additional $16 (eBay as well). It simplified my install using the harness already reassembled and all i had to do was change the sensor plugin to the F4i ECU harness. So Microsquirt, injectors/t-bodies, etc..., harness a total cost under $400.

You will still need to deal with a fuel pump and lines, fortunately i had an inline T-rex pump, banjo fittings, and fuel line already lying around, (actually two of them).

I have seen the throttle body setups on eBay that include fuel line, as well some without the air box. I wanted the air box to use as a template to build a custom aluminum ram air or modify the existing air box, (That is what i did).

In a few weeks, i will post the complete build and cost when its finished. As far as running it runs well with Microsquirt and pulls harder then the carbs as well it is much more reliable now and no more stinky gas smell that carbs emit.

Microsquirt is used only for fuel control. You leave the factory ignition untouched except to grab the tachometer signal from the gauge itself, (easily achieved with fairing off, yellow/green wire).

Micro squirt has its own forums for those of you who have never tuned. Its easy, also has some auto tuning features as i run mine with an innovate LC-1, which cost $150 shipped free from eBay. total cost $550. if you want to use an in tank pump which you will need some skills to do, id recommend a pump for a v8 mustang or get the GT40 pump. I have purchased for $77 online with dual pickup screen. I can easily see someone spend $700, for me i didn't have too.

The bike runs awesome, sounds awesome and i love it. i am now thinking why not buy an eBay turbo t-15 or t-20 from eBay $180 shipped free with 8psi internal waste gate similar to what my VFR has, (T-25) .42 AR, intake and exhaust. The VFR runs 10psi and 183 whp. maybe run 4-6 psi on the cbr with stock internals or build it up, idk, see how the gf feels about it. If the motor breaks, they're on eBay any where between $125-$300, and build it.

Turbos are unique in the fact they dont put heavy downforce pressures in the cylinders due to being exhaust driven the equalize to some degree therefor more free hp with less effort. thats down the road, maybe. as far as the rest goes it can be done. if you like your bike and want an easy Fi upgrade you can do it. having a steel frame has its advantages to modify. By all means dont he afraid to try. i will post my entire build in the next 2-3 weeks when the body panels are finished.

Currently i am repainting the tank and wrapping panels in gloss black with Purple flames and Jester Skulls each side of the headlamps. colors the girlfriend wanted. We are debating black or white on the wheels. i think white looks more sporty but black hides the dust better. i have also bought a 5 inch rim and 180 tire, and 2" drop so her feet touch the ground with a 28" inseam, lol, which is another part of the build as well i have implemented LED turn signals in the rear next to tail lamp. Rear fender has been removed and brackets for turn signals are gone, rear foot pegs removed and custom ones installed with polished machined pegs. License plate is custom installed.

We contemplated a newer body kit but decided we liked the older style for now, maybe F4i body later if she doesn't wipe this one out, lol. I did implement slider pegs off the engine mounts to help if she drops it over. Anyways there it is guys, hopefully helpful and gives a true honest answer of this project being done at a reasonable cost. You need to believe that it can be done and don't let the pessimistic detours stop you from doing what you dream up. i like to think positive and know anything can be done if you put you're mind and you're money towards achieving your dreams!

Full build coming Soon! I hope the corrections i made in this post helped it become more legible, sorry guys for the run on's.

I know this post is old BTW although those seeking online can at least find an answer to their question regarding this conversion, Thanks for letting me add my post.

Last edited by Brian Palmer; 02-23-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: merge btb posts
Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Holy CRAP!! You need some paragraph breaks in there, man!

It's gonna take me some time and concentration, to get that read!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM

DITTO... i read something about turbos and $700... then i gave up...

Quick Reply: Needing info - conversion related