CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Need Help/Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help/Ideas

I've been trying to get my bike started...but it won't! I pulled the plug and cleaned them...it's getting fuel..I pulled the spark plug wire and I get a spark when the screw driver is 1/2 inch away from frame (is that weak?)...I'm getting compression...fuses ok...I tried starting fluid through the carbs and I even tried putting some directly into the cylinder...nothing, not even a sputter...WTF...anyone have any ideas, beside taking it to a shop...i had it running a couple months ago and I put new fuel in...it's driving me crazy, especially, when it's nice out.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Default RE: Need Help/Ideas

were the plugs all carboned up when you took them out. I had a similar problem, bike wouldn't start. it was so rich it ws fouling the plugs quickly, and wouldn't start. I used a torch to burn off the carbon, reinstalled the plugs and it fired right up. its worth a shot.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:31 PM

Is the red swith in the on position?

Bustedf2~ Hands down, best photo of 08

Old 05-04-2008, 05:04 PM

You should be able to leave the spark plug attached to the wire and just hold the threads against the frame to ground it out. If you get good spark there then that narrows that down. I don't know with what set of circumstances you were testing for spark. If the red run switch on the right clip on is off you shouldn't get spark. Likewise you shouldn't get spark if the bike is in gear and the kickstand is down.

When you pull the plugs after a lot of cranking, are they wet? if they are then things should at least "pop" unless the plugs are fouled. If you don't want to go buy another set of plugs then take a propane torch and heat up the electrodes of the spark plugs until they start to get red, burn everything off of them. Put them back in and see what happens.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:52 PM

how long was it siting? was there gas in it for a long period of time? be carful with that starting fluid it dries out your cylinder walls. dont wanna over do it.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:18 PM

OK...I'm just checking for responses....unfortunately, I have not been able to read anything....I'm stuck at bustedf2's avatar...

actually...

bustedf2... when I pulled the plug they didn't look bad, but I took my dremel tool (with a wire brush) and cleaned them all up...

410600f2...i haven't been on this forum for awhile...we still need to take a ride (if I can get the damn thing running)...were you trying to sell your bike? I saw one (i think on craigslist) that looked like your bike in easton...but yes, the kill switch is on...

elmer...i didn't leave the plug connected to the wire (perhaps I should), but I put a screwdriver in and held it to the frame...the plugs are wet and smell of gas, after I've been cranking for a while...I do not get any poping/backfiring, etc....wouldn't the carbon come off with a dremel/wire brush...they looked good afterwards...

cowboy...I had the bike running in February...it was hard to get started but, I finally got it going...the fuel was low...i ran out of gas on the way to the gas station...i put some in and filled it up with new fuel...I put a little bit of carb cleaner in the tank and ran it for awhile...i'm holding of on the starting fluid...

Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 PM

Yeah, I just sold it today[sm=boohoo.gif], should have another one soon though. It may be a shot in the dark, but did you try the procedure for a flooded engine?

Turn the engine switch to off
Push the choke lever to fully off
Open the throttle fully and crank the engine for 5 seconds
Wait 10 seconds, turn the stop switch to run, start without choke and throttle slightly cracked.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:04 PM

what is that????

Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 AM

Don't use ether based starter fluid. A much better quick start method is to go get a butane/propane torch tip that screws onto those little camping propane tanks. Open the valve on the torch (don't light it of course) and stick it into the intake. Propane has a much lower flash point than ANY liquid fuel and is already in a gaseous state. It's how I get all my hard starting machines to initially fire up. It's cheap, easy to procure and relatively safe. One tank will last damn near forever.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 PM

Do the method someone posted about using a torch to dry the plugs out. Since you already have access, why not just replace them with something cheap to get the bike started. If you have spark at the wiresand fuel, the only thing left is the plugs normally.

Quick Reply: Need Help/Ideas