CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Need Help '92CBR600F2 Petcock Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help '92CBR600F2 Petcock Leaking

Initially it started leaking from the swivel portion of the petcock, I took it off the gas tank and after inspecting the o-ring it was destroyed. I went to ace hardware with the petcock in hand and after an hour found a perfect o-ring. I replaced said o-ring and installed the petcock back on the gas tank. The leak ceased from the swivel portion Success! However, I noticed it is now leaking from the portion of the petcock that is riveted. I drilled out the rivets so that I can open this sucker up. I assumed that the rivets after 12 years are not holding it together. After drilling out the rivets I went back to ace hardware and got some machine screws with lock nuts and lock washer. I put it all back together after making sure the screws were as tight as possible without stripping out the lock nut. But it still leaks from the portion where the rivets used to be. After inspecting the gasket that goes in-between the two metal pieces which were held together by the rivets I noticed that this said gasket is cracked and worn. Any one know where I can find this gasket or have an idea of a mod that I can do to it attached are photos of the gasket and the petcock is OEM? I have searched the darkest depth of the internet for a gasket or even an entire rebuild kit and have found zilch.
To open the photos for some reason you have to right click on them and open them in a new tab...sorry I am new to posting pictures on a forum.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried to put gasket maker or something that wont dissolve from the gasoline around the gasket to see if it shuts and doesnt leak.

if you cant find it I would consider searching for an f3 petcock instead and see if that works for you.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 AM

I thought about using a liquid gasket maker, but I am worried about the gasoline breaking the seal down. Since gasoline is a hyrdocarbon it is non polar and I would assume that the gasket is also non polar like most polymers therefore like dissolves like. Does anyone know of a gasoline safe liquid gasket, if so I just may go that route? Of course if that doesn't work the f3 petcock may be my best bet. Just to confirm, the f3 petcock fits an f2 gas tank?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An F3 petcock should fit, but does not use the vacuum-actuated diaphragm, so you will need to block off the vacuum port near cylinder 1, which is usually connected to the F2 petcock with a small diameter hose.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM

Thanks for your help. I have learned that there are formulas for liquid gasket that are gasoline safe. Ill hopefully fix it this weekend so I can get back to riding. I will post my results after for anyone else who needs a solution to the same problem. Crossing my fingers that it works.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM

It should work out for you as long as you can sandwhich both really tight. Ive done several things with silicone where you just cant get the gasket anywhere or its not making a complete seal and it always work out for me really me. really good.

You should be able to source a silicone/gasket maker at any local AutoZone, oreilly, napa etc.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 PM

Try this one, they should have it at your home depot as well, it even says gasoline resistant.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1003721...1#.UYMrvUM1gWo

Last edited by campos_motorsports; 05-02-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 AM

I would recommend getting a new one or just the cover repair kit. I had the same issue it pretty common.. And you don't want to hydro lock the engine by gas going into the cylinder thru the vacuum line think they are on ebay for 32 bucks

Old 05-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Arn1016
I would recommend getting a new one or just the cover repair kit. I had the same issue it pretty common.. And you don't want to hydro lock the engine by gas going into the cylinder thru the vacuum line think they are on ebay for 32 bucks
The repair kits are for the diaphragm, and my diaphragm is fine. This is the portion of the petcock where it is riveted together. Where the "on", "off", and "reserve" selector connect to. I cannot find that gasket...well its more like a specifically molded o-ring.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by campos_motorsports
It should work out for you as long as you can sandwhich both really tight. Ive done several things with silicone where you just cant get the gasket anywhere or its not making a complete seal and it always work out for me really me. really good.

You should be able to source a silicone/gasket maker at any local AutoZone, oreilly, napa etc.
Ok, sounds like that is going to be the route I am going to take. Like I said in the previous post I drilled out the rivets and fashioned a machine screw and lock nut to seal the pieces together. The one that you linked from home depot looks like the best choice. It has to be gasoline resistant other wise ill be back to square one. Thanks for your help, I will go to home depot this weekend and pick it up. I'll post some pics of the work for anyone else who needs to do this in the future. Also, I will be posting some pictures of my custom bike if anyone wants to check it out. It will be on new members forum.

Quick Reply: Need Help '92CBR600F2 Petcock Leaking