Need advice on buying a CBR F2

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on buying a CBR F2

hey guys, I'm looking to get a 94 CBR600, here is the ad:
cbr 600

sent the guy an email and this is what he sent me:
94 cbr. ill let you have it for 1000. bike was running last about 1month ago. great bike only problem is the carbs. you can come look at it. **omitted his number and name** new tires and brakes. have title.
if the only problem with it is the carbs need cleaning then i know i can fix it, but what should i do when i go see it to verify as much as possible that the crabs that are the only problem like he says or do I just have to take him at his word?
any other common CBR F2 problems I should look for?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM

id make sure it turns over for sure.check the tank with a light to see the corrosion level since he said its been sitting.if the tires are new like he said i think all the parts on the bike are worth more than 1000.hopefully somebody will have better advice for ya.good luck! and
welcome to the forum

Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by magnumRT
id make sure it turns over for sure.check the tank with a light to see the corrosion level since he said its been sitting.if the tires are new like he said i think all the parts on the bike are worth more than 1000.hopefully somebody will have better advice for ya.good luck! and
welcome to the forum
thanks for the advice, this are the tests I am thinking of running:
1) can the starter turn over the motor?
2) can it shift through all the gears?
3) while in first and the clutch out can I move the bike? (think this is a basic way to test the clutch's condition in this situation, will consider other options though)
4) do all the lights work?
5) is there any cosmetic damage and could it have been caused my a drop?
6) is there any rust in the tank or elsewhere?
7) is the chain properly tensioned? (figure it's a good way to guess the quality of maintenance it has received)

thats all I can think of now, do you guys think they are good test and are they sufficient to warrant me paying for the bike?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 PM

Good chance the battery will be flat so check the basics like oil, chain, forks seals etc I would leave out test 2 & 3 without a running motor.
The R/R is another common problem so look around that for any melted wires, you'll have to remove the tail fairing to get to it.

And since it's not running, use that to try bargain him down!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by RedBaron
Good chance the battery will be flat so check the basics like oil, chain, forks seals etc I would leave out test 2 & 3 without a running motor.
The R/R is another common problem so look around that for any melted wires, you'll have to remove the tail fairing to get to it.

And since it's not running, use that to try bargain him down!
thanks, that is actually very helpful. I'll make sure to add the oil and fork seals to the list of test (already had the chain) as well as the R/R. I'll leave out test 2 like you said, but i think i will briefly do test 3. I figure if it doesn't shift while off it won't shift while on, or could i be wrong in thinking this?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out this article...

Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

It covers everything to look for/check, when buying used.

Ern

Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 PM

so, called the owner earlier today to make sure I could see it today around 7:00 pm, tried calling before i left but no answer, went regardless since we cleared that today was ok. got to his house and he tells me that someone who was gonna see it tomorrow showed up with money in hand bought it 5 minutes before I got there. FML I was so close. back on the hunt I guess.

Originally Posted by JankCibberf2
Don't buy it!!!!! I will be recommended everyone to not buy an f2!
not really an option anymore but I'm curious why not? the only bad thing I have heard about it so far is that the R/R likes to burn out

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Check out this article...

Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

It covers everything to look for/check, when buying used.

Ern
thanks that will prove useful in the future.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:51 PM

Personally Ive had three bikes and ridden several others. I know my f2 isn't nearly as powerful as my gsxr was, but it's just as much fun.

I'm surprised no one mentioned checking the frame. With a bike that old and steel framed, you need to give it a good look for corrosion.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-12-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Removed comment regarding JankCibberf2. Situation has been dealt w/. Thx.

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying a CBR F2