CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My project has started

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My project has started

Some may remember reading in the fall when I picked this 94 up and was a little paranoid of the issues that it had. I rode it around for about a month before the weather where I live (Edmonton AB, Canada) turned to winter. While out, I had every shade tree mechanic try and tell me what was wrong with the motor, from loose header bolts, to a "dropped valve, rattling around the combustion chamber" (These are interference motors, are they not?.. haha). Long story short, 20 minutes worth of work, and low and behold all noises are gone. Good old CCT replacement.

So, now on with the project:

I've pulled the plastics & tank off and are now going in for a fresh coat. I'm looking at a gloss black with red honda badges on it (just lower fairing HONDA, and tail "600 F2"). I'm also going to pull my midpipe off, as its rusted to hell. Now, please take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think... Keep the small Yoshi can, or replace it with something else, and why? Bear in mind this exhaust sounds absolutely beautiful to me, but I'm looking for ideas. I'll also be re-upholstering my seat as there's a small tear in it.

Now for some help from you guys:

1. My battery will not charge in the bike. It will charge and stay charged on a tender, but if I run the bike, it drains the battery within about an hour (depending on what I'm doing). Would you think this is just the stator, or are there anything else to change (regulator). How hard is a stator to change?

2. I'm seeing all the pics of everyone's F2, and I have the super stock dorsal fin for a fender still on mine. Does anyone have any good sources or recommendations for a clean up or eliminator? I'd like to keep some decently sized turn signals for a little bit of safety. Some of these look like the individual "chopped" the factory version? Is this the case? Suggestions?

Please excuse what looks like an oil leak on the engine, it was just dripping oil from replacing the CCT (yeah, I used a factory hydraulic).

The goal is to have this thing completed by April, as I'm part of a car club, as I have the only bike in the group and there's a large show being held in April. Aside from that, I want a fresh old school supersport.

Attached Thumbnails My project has started-dscn1782.jpg   My project has started-dscn1781.jpg   My project has started-dscn1951.jpg   My project has started-dscn1954.jpg  
Old 02-15-2009, 11:48 AM

First off, keep the paint stock. It's going to look way better than just a solid black. But thats just my opinion. I'd really hate to see you trash that great looking oem job for something as overdone as solid black.
My guess your battery problem stems from a bad Rectifier. Replacements are all over ebay as this is a fairly common part to have fail, right up there with the hydraulic cam chain tensioner. Assuming your harness isn't melted, you should just be able to plug in a replacement and be good to go. It's highly unlikely that your stator has gone bad, but still technically possible...
As for the exhaust, my advice there is to either have somebody sandblast it, or use some coarse sandpaper and sand it all down. pick up some high temp grill paint and throw a few coats of black on there. It'll clean up the aesthetics and theres no need to spend $300+ on a new exhaust you don't really need.
Basically as far as a fender eliminator goes, just search ebay and google for an F2 fender eliminator kit. If you look at the kits you might decide its just as easy to make your own. Some people will merely cut off the flap off their stock one to clean it up a bit, and retain the original license plate holder and turn signals. From what it sounds like, this might not be a bad option for you.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I dont think my harness is melted? i've looked at as much wiring as I possibly could. The rectifier gets REALLY hot, like burning skin if you touch it. I've heard they're supposed to heat up, but that hot? All electrical works fine, horn, lights, signals, but the battery drains really quickly when on.

Are there any grounding issues with the model by chance?

As for the stock paint, I like the look of this purple as well, but it needs some work (previous tip-over cracks fixed, etc) and by the end of it all, I'm on a budget. Albeit, I havent actually priced out a replacement set of stickers for the beast, because I quite frankly never thought of it.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:28 PM

Also, maybe this will help with the electrical:

The lights will brighten up when revved, and dim off when at idle (i've set it in the vicinity of 1500-2000 give or take).

Old 02-15-2009, 02:08 PM

www.motodecals.com has OE style decal sets very reasonable and they come in a bunch of different colors as well as chrome, gold, diamond plate, carbon fiber and silver carbon fiber. This set was like $25 shipped, I didn't use them all, I've got some lightening graphics planned too, and didn't want it to look to busy.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-15-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rickracer
www.motodecals.com has OE style decal sets very reasonable and they come in a bunch of different colors as well as chrome, gold, diamond plate, carbon fiber and silver carbon fiber. This set was like $25 shipped, I didn't use them all, I've got some lightening graphics planned too, and didn't want it to look to busy.
[IMG][/IMG]
How are those graphics workin out for ya? I've been looking at the different sellers on e-bay but haven't really seen anything I like. I wanna do the carbon fiber thing and these look like the way to go. Let me know how ya like em

Old 02-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey I just moved to Edmonton and i'm involved in a fairly large project with my F2 as well.

Your charging problem may be the connectors that lead to the rectifier being burnt up, or the rectifier itself being faulty (the 2nd most common problem with the F2, the first being the CCT as you've found out already)

If you need any help with your bike let me know, i've got a full size garage and tool chest, and fairly good mechanical knowledge of the F2.

The garage is being converted to a mechanic shop / welding shop / paint booth in the spring time.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 PM

Wow.. Thank you. That would be awesome. I'm just off Whyte Ave actually. I have a basic set of tools and a large indoor space to keep/tear apart the bike, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Are you on ESR by chance?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes I am, my username is Sand.Man

Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 PM

What are your plans for your bike?

Quick Reply: My project has started