CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My bike is not running grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bike is not running grrrrrrrrrrrrr

okay so i bought this 93 600 f2 off of craigs list. it didnt start at his house but it did crank over just wouldnt start. he told us that it had been sitting over a year with out being started.

so when i got it over to my freinds house we decided to clean the carbs because we knew they would be gummed up. well we have cleaned them twice now and still are having the same problem.

so does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?????? everyones help would be greatly thanked.

here is a list of everything that the guy told us about the bike.
might need a new stator
needs a new front tire
throtle does not snap back when you let go
might need a new choke cable
missing the rubber stops under the gas tank
missing all the fairings
has after market lights on the front
missing mirrors/no front turn signals
was stolen before and the drilled the ingition so it has a barrel key now
needed a new battery

so please everyone i need help where do i start, what would be the best way to go with this bike. i want to turn it into a streetfighter bike.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best way to go is to get her to start. Like any good doctor, start at the heart: the battery.

If the battery is bad it may not be able to deliver the power to start the bike. Even if the voltage is right, it may not be delivering enough enough of it consistently. Have the battery checked and replaced if bad, then report back

Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM

okay cool thanks i have replaced the battery the carbs have been cleaned once, but the guy said he didnt do a good job at it he guessed so he is redoing the cleaning of the carbs. could having dirty carbs really keep the throtle from snapping back when you let go of it? if so how does it?

Last edited by evillecbr812; 06-03-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: thought of something more to put in the posting
Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 AM

friend.

you have a new battery, check first you stator, in the service manual says the test to check the stator and the R/R( ohms measuring range), this parts can charge, fried and dry your battery, if those parts are ok (charge), you need a complete service:
1.- Clean and Sync carbs
2.- Clean Gas Tank
3.- Change Spark Plugs
4.- Check ignition Coils
5.- Change Oil and Oil Filter
6.- Change Coolant
7.- Clean Air filter or get a new one
8.- Check Brakes and the fluid.

Remember the bike had been sitting for a year.

first check these steps and try to start your bike, try to find threads of these jobs there too many information to help you at the forum.

Keep us informed, over.

Cris

Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 PM

lack of throttle snap-back could be:

really dirty throttle cables (lube thoroughly or replace)
pinched grip (probably pinched by bar-end-weight)
broken/weak throttle return spring (on carb)

but the throttle not returning won't effect the running of the bike

Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first things first. you need 3 things for ignition - fire/air/fuel

Everything mentioned above is required - but you gotta get the engine to cough before doing any of that.

Are you getting spark at the plugs? there are testers for this, or pull the plug, attach the plug wire, hold the plug w/ insulated pliers, and try to crank. See spark? Might need to try it in the evening with the lights off. If you have spark try the other 3 plugs. Got good spark on all plugs? Clean em up and re-gap em anyway.

If you don't have spark, then start troubleshooting the ignition system.

If you do - then find out if you're getting fuel. While you have the plugs out, spray some starting fluid/brake cleaner in the cylinders - not a whole lot, just a couple of squirts. Try firing now, does the bike cough and maybe even fire for a second?

congrats - you've probably got a carb/fuel delivery problem.

At least that way it keeps you from troubleshooting both the ignition & electrical while chasing the fuel part or vice versa.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 AM

Start with checking the battery, if the battery is fine, then he mentioned the stator might be bad, that can be a problem, because bikes cannot run off their charging system by itself like cars, can, so if your stator is bad, your bike probably wouldn't be able to crank, the dirty throttle cables is what I thought first thing too, does it try to snap back or do you have to manually move it back into place? like they said, check spark... and also CHECK YOUR HARNESS IN FRONT, make sure your ignition and electric start plugs are plugged in.

I wouldn't have bought a bike that beat-up to begin with, even if he tried to sell it to me for 250 bucks... could have several shorts in the electric, and if that's the case, you'll need a new harness which... they tend to run around what like... 300-600 bucks-ish?? Not sure, but I think around there.

Good luck man, if you have more questions, you know where to get answers!!

(also go download a manual, and read it like twice all the way through, you need to know your bike inside and out man, don't go into this thinking it will be easy, not everybody has what it takes to ride, bust your *** taking care of her, and she'll take care of you. If not, she'll try to kill you.)

Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM

I had similar problems with my bike when i first bought it. been sitting for almost 3 years!!! found out b/c my tank was rusted to crap. Def get a manual b/c that will help you trouble shoot and be able to see detailed parts about your bike. I bought my manual the day after I got my F2.

If you have rust in your tank your going to either want to get a new one, or get a tank re-sealer, i haven't had the time yet for that so i put a fuel-filter on, but this presented some problems with fuel starvation.

My throttle also stuck, i figured out that my cables were really dirty and that the plastic piece inside the hand grip was cracked in multiple areas, you can just get new cables and that will most likely free up that problem.

the problem with a bike sitting so long is that it allows for build up in the gas in the tank, carbs, ect..

so like everyone has been saying you pretty much got to overhaul the entire bike and its essentials.

It took me three weeks to finally get mine going and riding.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 PM

How is it none of you mentioned the classic start fluid technique??

Remove tank, remove air box. Spray carbs a bunch with carb cleaner, just right into them. Let it settled for 30 seconds or so. Crank the motor over. It should run on the carb cleaner for a very very brief moment and rev a decent amount (3k rpm ish, number is insignificant). If it does this, you know you've got proper ignition and your motor is operating fine.

THe result here will dictate your next direction, so don't even bother with what everyone else wrote just yet.

-If it doesn't run for even a brief moment on carb cleaner (make multiple attempts) Your ignition is suspect.

-If it does run, ignition is fine, motor aughta be mostly okay, so now all you gotta do is figure out fuel delivery.

Try this and report back. I'l gladlyl boil down where to proceed from there

Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 AM

well looks like i have to buy new throttle cables there was no play in them at all so here come the new cables lets cross our findure and hope this works along with the cleaning of the carbs. pl ease oh please oh please

Quick Reply: My bike is not running grrrrrrrrrrrrr