CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My 1993 CBR 600 F2 from India

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure, if you start it and run if for a while weekly, you'll keep things "circulating", but I'd still add some stabilizer anyway... what it is, is just a chemical composition that slows/stalls the separation that occurs over time in gasoline, where carbon deposits form, bringing with it the accompanying "gumming" effect, which can clog jets and fueling passages.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay understood bro, will get the stabilizers and will start it once or twice a week to keep the motor running

Old 06-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would NOT recommend running it on a weekly basis. here are reasons:

- Battery will die from so many starts (fix this by keeping on a trickle charger NOT by letting the bike idle in the garage) Battery will not charge unless you are RIDING the bike above a certain RPM (5000?) .... idling in the garage at 5000 rpm is not a good plan to charge a battery.... buy a trickle charger... they are cheap

- bad for engine.... oil will drain into oil pan over the week it is sitting and then when you start it there will be a couple of seconds running without full oil circulation. Why do this repeatedly to your engine?
(fix this problem by turning engine over by hand enough to pump oil around the engine before starting it... turning engine over by hand is not easy/convenient on a weekly basis)

It is better all around (and less work) to store your bike properly and NOT start it on a weekly or monthly basis.

- Fuel stabilizer in the tank... mix it up... run bike for 5 min to get stabilized fuel into carbs.

- remove battery from the bike and charge it on a 'trickle charger' (a trickle charger maintains a full charge on the battery to extend its life... they are CHEAP)

- lift bike off of tires with front/rear stands (not necessary but nice for the tires)

- plug exhaust and air intake so that rats/mice/bugs/spiders don't make a home out of your bike