CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

MOTO_777 Chinese Fairing review

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOTO_777 Chinese Fairing review

Hey guys, it's been a while since I crashed my bike. At long last the weather in Scotland has eased up a little (it was -16 here over Christmas/January and the snow was crazy)...Which means it's time to rebuild the CBR.

If any of you read the last thread on the subject, I finished last year buying a new set of fairings from MOTO_777 on ebay. I got a great deal on the fairings, £160 uk pounds fully painted (+£100 for delivery). So, the only thing left was to fit and ride! Given the frequent questions of the quality of chinese non oem fairings I thought it would be useful to review the fairings as well as documenting my build. So, here goes! :-)

From paying for the fairings to me receiving them, the turnaround was about 1 month. Pretty reasonable when you consider that MOTO_777 did a custom paint job for me. The first week of the order was spent with me speccing the paint job and confirming what I wanted, and where. I uploaded photoshop roughs to photobucket to ease the process. I guess from here I can break down the whole thing into categories -

Communication: A1. Excellent. Everything was confirmed on a stage by stage process. When panels were painted I recieved pictures to check I was happy with the work before clear coat was applied. All through the process MOTO_777 communicated brilliantly.

Delivery speed: Decent. Wasn't lightning fast, but the attention to detail given to the paint job meant I was happy to take a hit on that front.

Paint finish: Excellent. No runs, no rough spots. All shiny and nice. I can't comment on the longevity of the finish given that I've managed 0 miles on the bike, but the paint work seems good. Time will tell, but for the moment, I'm very happy.

Fairing fit: So so. Let's be honest here - what do we expect for our money? The fairings cost about 1/4 of Honda's. They cost less than the nasty fibreglass panels too. The top fairing was tight, but a little dremelling of the holes to open them seen it fit with little trouble. The side fairings were also tight, but again, a little dremmel work on the holes (and not much, simply opening them up slightly and cleaning them up) seen them fit without much trouble. The panel gaps for the most part are good too - at the inspection covers there's a little overlap woth the top fairing, but nothing too bad (I'll post pics later).
The rear fairings? The fit is *terrible*. Or rather, they don't fit. Thankfully fixing them isn't too much trouble. The pegs are bonded on not moulded (mercifully) which means it's just a case of doing the following -

1. Snap off the offending pegs (all of 'em).
2. Tape the fairings to the sub frame.
3. Mark the correct spots on the fairing where the pegs should be (use matches with superglue and stick them to the fairing through the other side of each grommet hole if that makes sense)
4. Use Sugru or Araldite to affix the pegs in the correct location.
5. Wait until the araldite cure and fit!

The fact the pegs are bonded on makes no difference to the strength of the fairing or the quality (IMO).

The tank cover fits like a glove. Its a perfect fit. Be careful though, The cover has a central reinforcement spine that runs up to the tank flap hole but not onto the raised hole section - the hole is the one weak spot. I tried to force mine down (I forgot about the rubbers at each end of the real tank) and cracked the cover - it's an easy crack to hide and was *entirely* the fault of user error, but it's an easy mistake to make. The crack is maybe 2 cm long - it runs to where the reinforcement starts. It's a hairline thing, the cover isn't broken and a sticker will hide it no problem.

Fairing quality: The fairings aren't overly light. The plastic feels like good quality, and the bonded pegs do NOT feel like a weak spot. Plastic thickness is decent and there's loads of heat shielding. All in, they feel like they'll have a good life span if treated with care.

Aftersales: Despite the fairings being very, very well packed and marked as fragile my box arrived with several holes in it and the delivery guy threw it off the van. UK company Parcel Force (known locally as Parcel Farce) are known for their rough handling. Only one part was broken - the left rear fairing has a small crack in it. Believe me, if you saw the box, you would be forgiven for thinking none of it should have survived. I contacted MOTO_777 and without hesitation he started the process of getting me a new fairing.

Pros : Custom paint job for no extra outlay. Full fairing set for £260 delivered. Over all good quality. Decent turn around time. Bike is going to look like new. Fairing kit includes tank cover and windscreen. The windscreen is a perfect fit.

Cons: The rear fairings don't fit out of the box. Be prepared to work on them. Unless you buy with this knowledge you will be disappointed.

Over all: I'm happy with what I got. For a little fettling you get a hell of a lot of plastic for your money. The tank cover and windscreen confirm the kit as a bargain. Sure, there's a little adjustment to be done, but for such little money? It's a small price to pay.

Summary:

Communication: 10/10
Delivery speed: 7/10
Paint finish: 9/10
Fairing fit: (Front) 7/10, (Rear) 3/10
Fairing quality: 8/10
Aftersales: 10/10

For my money, I got everything below plus a windscreen and all other fairing parts.

Name:  All.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  99.1 KB

Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review P8ddy.
At least the guys know what to expect, and for the money..............................
very very nice !
Now we just have to get them to mould up 1000F fairings and we'll ALL be in business !!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 AM

i got mines from moto777 and i think thats pretty fair... i would agree 100%

Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 AM

How did you adjust the rears to fit? I could see myself picking up one of these sets if the process wasn't TOO invasive on the new plastics.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 PM

Scottish SPCA? whats up with that? looks good though... get some pics with everything on the bike!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bently600
Scottish SPCA? whats up with that? looks good though... get some pics with everything on the bike!
Basically, I love the Repsol color scheme, but I didn't fancy advertising Reposol and NGK for nothing. It's not like they give me discounts when I buy stuff because I advertise their logo! Bearing that in mind, I thought it would be a decent idea to advertise charities I like and contribute too. Scottish SPCA (a Scottish animal charity) struggle each year to get the funding they need so I thought it would be a good thing to do.

I asked permission from each Charity before doing it and they were all super enthusiastic and helpful.

Cheers for the compliment as well. I'll get the bike finished over the weekend and get more pics up. :-)

Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by NYKnick1015
i got mines from moto777 and i think thats pretty fair... i would agree 100%
How are you getting on with yours? Any joy with fairing bolts or did the others ever turn up? That's still a source of annoyance that some careless customs guy managed to screw things up.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by coldfire
How did you adjust the rears to fit? I could see myself picking up one of these sets if the process wasn't TOO invasive on the new plastics.
The rears are pretty simply to set up once yo get your head around it. With the seat off, tape each side to the subframe (after snapping the pegs off). You can reach all the rubber grommets from the inside, so it's only a matter of sticking matches or similar (with superglue on the tip) through the grommets and onto the fairing. From there it's only a matter of attaching the pegs back on the fairing in the correct location. I'll get pics sorted over the weekend to let you see. :-) It's honestly not difficult, just needs a little care.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

seeing this is making me anxious to get my plastics. ordered them about 2 weeks ago and cant wait to get them.

hoping for the best but prepared for adjustment on the fitment though.

thanks for the write up man!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fearless4x4
seeing this is making me anxious to get my plastics. ordered them about 2 weeks ago and cant wait to get them.

hoping for the best but prepared for adjustment on the fitment though.

thanks for the write up man!
The wait is terrible, isn't it! That was the worst for me too. I had boxes of bits for the bike sitting in my flat waiting to be fitted. Between the delivery, the snow and the sub zero temps I was going mad! :-)

The adjustments aren't too bad. The front's are easy and go on pretty much standard. The rears are more tricky, but to be honest, NYKnick1015's previous article on his plastics had me expecting the issues and I'd already been thinking about how to address them. None of the issues are deal breakers, lets put it that way. :-)

Quick Reply: MOTO_777 Chinese Fairing review