CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Making moves!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making moves!

Well, sort of. Pulled the bike apart today and cleaned out the carbs. This was my first time ever working on a bike, as well as working on caruretors and let me tell ya- those things are easy! The hardest part was (just like everyone says) getting that d@#%ed throttle cable in there all The bowls had a PILE of gunk that looked like clay and went right up to the back of the jets...I don't know how the bike ever ran.

Sadly though, the bike still isn't running. I've checks plugs and they spark, and I've gotten fuel coming out of tank. When I turn her over i get backfiring so I was thinking it wasn't getting enough fuel, perhaps a clogged hose or something. my plan now is to go get some gas and some other things, put the gas in a jar or something and stick the hoses directly into it and see what happens. But if anyone has some suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. Oh also the plugs were covered in carbon. Thanks guys

Old 10-18-2010, 06:17 PM

did you clean out the carb passages? with the amount of crud you say was present the carbs would need a major cleaning. Pilot jet, main jet, vents, float valves, everything should be blown out with compressed air, cleaned, and reassembled. Your fuel tank probably has the stuff in it too. It'll need cleaning out.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would clean the tank, make sure all the jets are clean and change the oil. You can tell if your getting gas through the hose by turning the petcock on and if gas starts to drip out the hose your good. Or just blow compressed air through the hose but make sure you have the hose off of the tank and carbs.

If you dont have a compressor buy some of the can compressed air. Its cheaper than a compressor and a good quick fix.

If it wont start check the kill switch. It may be busted and not allowing it to turn on.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Heh yeah I used a couple cans of compressed air since I don't have a compressor and yes the tank is gross too, but I didn't have time for that today. I soaked all the jets in carb cleaner and blew em out, so they should be good. I took the hose off the fuel valve and turned it to on, then nothing came out til i hit the starter, but it dumped so that seemed right to me. I did what i could with the time I had as far as the passages, I guess I'll have to get in there some more next time I get a chance. I used a whole can of carb cleaner on the suckers and was sprayin like crazy into every nook and cranny

On the kill switch, does it stop fuel and spark, or just fuel, or just spark?

I'll look in the book for this too but, for th passages, are there any like access points that would allow me to get in there better? Thanks guys

Old 10-18-2010, 06:50 PM

I think the kill switch cuts the spark to it. As far as ease of working on the f2 forget it. That thing was not meant to be worked on. lol Its a pain in the A to have to take everything off to get to the carbs i know but if you can just take everything off and then leave it till you get it fixed.

And im going to guess that your actually took the carbs off of the bike right?

If you did i would recommend pouring some seafoam into your valve area. I poured some down there and let it soak for 2 days while i cleaned the carbs and everything else and that stuff worked great. Its a little hard to get the bike to start once the seafoam is down there but it WILL start. I just hooked my battery charger up to the bike and held the starter down in 5 second intervals and it started after about 5 mins.

After all the cleaning my bike was much much smoother.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:01 PM

hmm yeah I took the carbs off the bike I've heard about seafoam on here quite a few times but I actually have no idea what it is. Is it something like carb cleaner that I can get at the auto store? I looked at the valves and they did look kinda gummed up I was actually trying to think of how to get in there to clean em some.

As far as the tank is concerned, the overflow tube on the inside has sprung a leak (probably from rust) so I gotta get a mirror and see exactly where and figure out how I'm gonna stop that, then I was thinking about getting the KBS tank kit. What do you think?

Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 PM

My bike had a similar issue with the breather hose inside the tank. What i did to find the leak was took a clean rubber hose and attached it to the breather nipple and then i blew into the hose and wahlah. Bubbles from where the hole was.

I never got it fixed cause i sold the bike before i could but i would say that tank coating is the best and cheapest way to fix it.

Seafoam is a great product. It is 100% pure petroleum. It works by slowly liquifying the carbon depsosits and allows them to be flushed out of the system. Check there site and read about it. http://www.seafoamsales.com/

It can be found at local stores. Anyways If your carbs are clean and reassembled correctly then you should look into that switch next.

If you go the seafoam route before you get it all together here is where i added it.

Gas tank, valves, crankcase. When the bike started i rode it about 60 miles then changed the oil and filter. The difference was day and night in smoothness.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Sounds like a solid plan, I'll add seafoam to my grocery list of bike stuff. I was thinking of getting a rubber tube andd sliding it into the breather tube so it'll close the hole but still do it's job, but I'll have to see what I can do. I don't wanna use the tank treatment stuff til I get that fixed cuz you have to shake the stuff in the tank and it'll leak out, plus when i use the sealer it could seal off that tube. I actually put the bike all back together because I live in an apartment and don't have a garage, but I don't really find the maintenance too difficult, albeit a bit tedious

Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM

I live in an apartment as well. i just took everything inside and set it on by balcony and then covered the bike in a towel/tarp. Worked great and no on effed with it. Just an option though.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 PM

Not a bad idea. I'll have to get a tarp. But i duno about bringing the stuff inside, i don't mind it, but my girlfriend was already complaining about the smell from today's rags...and me

Quick Reply: Making moves!