CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Majesty of the F2

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Majesty of the F2

Hello! I found this on the Honda website. [&:]

When Honda's 600 Hurricane debuted in 1987, it was a revelation. Not only was it the quickest and most powerful middleweight ever made, but it also perfectly satisfied the disparate needs of street riders and racers alike, with a finesse no other sportbike had ever achieved before.

Four years later, when it was time to revamp the CBR600, Honda adhered to exactly the same formula to create the CBR600F2: class-leading performance, but with the same uncanny balance that characterized the original. Indeed, the F2 took over right where the Hurricane had left off, setting new class standards for peak power, acceleration and handling as well as comfort.

In its first two years, 1991 and 1992, the F2 won every 600-class comparison test in enthusiast magazines, even taking the laurels in two magazines as the best sportbike money could buy—period. The F2 took the AMA's 600 SuperSport title as well, even duplicating the original Hurricane's feat of winning every 600 SuperSport race on the calendar in 1991.

While the formula and the subsequent results were identical to the Hurricane's, the F2 was completely redesigned, from the wheels on up. The 599cc powerplant was six pounds lighter, considerably more compact and boasted an astonishing 100 horsepower, thanks to more oversquare cylinder dimensions, 2mm larger carburetors, a higher compression ratio and significant reductions in internal friction.

That more potent engine bolted into a stiffer, shorter-wheelbase frame that was composed of rectangular-section steel. And virtually every piece of unsprung weight was made lighter, yet more effective, from the brakes to the suspension components to the RC30-style U-spoke wheels and low-profile radial tires. Just as the F2's power and acceleration was a quantum leap over its predecessor, so was the F2's handling. And yet it still managed to balance those qualities with a comfort that marked the first CBR600 and still characterizes the current F4 model.

To say the enthusiast press liked the F2 understates the case:

"... the CBR600F2 ... combines a new standard of middleweight performance with the greatest comfort and versatility in the class." Cycle, July 1991

"The CBR has, above all, balance." Cycle World, July 1992

"Comfortable ergonomics, agile handling, and more horsepower than anything else in the class make the CBR600F2 the machine to beat." Motorcyclist, June 1992

"... the CBR600F2 takes a middleweight's inherent virtues and amplifies them into almost unassailable advantages." Sportbike, 1992

Over the course of its four-year tenure, the F2 remained virtually unchanged, a clear testament to the bike's inherent rightness. The F2, just as every CBR600 before or since, rewrote the rules of performance plus practicality, not only in the 600 class, but in all of motorcycling. Honda's CBR600F2 was a generation ahead of its competitors, and once again struck the perfect balance of poise and power.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Default RE: Majesty of the F2

And for the mighty 900rr... for those who ever want to move up

Others had promised, but in 1993 Honda delivered. With double-strength open-class power infused into a scalpel-sharp middleweight-sized package, the CBR900RR exploded every existing sportbike standard.

In the fall of 1992, Honda unleashed the 1993 CBR900RR upon an unsuspecting market, and the only thing it had trouble eating up was the ensuing mountain of acclaim.

The enthusiast press led off the parade of praise, and the entire motorcycling world soon fell into lockstep to hail this revolutionary large-displacement sportbike. The litany was endless: Light is might. Less is more. A dream bike. Open-class horsepower with 600-class handling. The accolades cascaded like water from an alpine mountain and for good reason. Perhaps the editors of Cycle magazine most accurately summed things up when they wrote, "This motorcycle will explode any notions you have about how an open-class bike can handle—other literbikes feel like Greyhound buses by comparison."

At a comparatively light 408 pounds, the original 900RR held a whopping 80-pound weight advantage over its next-lightest rival. Separated by such an unassailable gulf, the new Honda stood alone in a class of one. In fact, the CBR900RR tilted the scales at a trifling two pounds more than its smaller sibling, the much-praised CBR600F2—an outstanding sportbike in its own right.

Yet the RR pumped out a measured 104 rear-wheel horsepower on the Cycle dyno, and was good for a quarter-mile time of 10.59 seconds at 132.74 mph-numbers that put the new Honda in a rarified atmosphere. Moreover, with a wheelbase of only 55.1 inches, the CBR900 was shorter than any sporting middleweight of its era. At long last, here was a motorcycle that would finally deliver on the promise of open-class power combined with speed-of-thought handling.

And nothing was lost in the details: The beautifully crafted all-aluminum twin-spar frame with a heavily braced aluminum swingarm could be considered a work of art were it not so splendidly functional. The massive 45mm aluminum-slider cartridge fork could be adjusted for spring preload and rebound damping, while the Pro-Link rear suspension also added compression-damping adjustment to these other features.

Naturally, the buying public pounced upon the 900RR like it was manna from heaven. And racers? Well, they knew this was the machine that would bring them to the promised land, the one flowing with checkered flags and podium finishes. In the ensuing eight years, the RR racked up race win after race win and captured seven National class championships. In sprint races and endurance races alike, the CBR900 immediately and firmly established itself as the machine to beat, and that legacy continues to this day, with Honda's awe-inspiring CBR929RR winning the Formula Xtreme title in its first year.

In truth, the 1993 CBR900RR set off a revolution in the large-displacement superbike class, and after nine years other manufacturers still target Honda's sporting flagship as the mark to shoot for. As iron sharpens iron, this competitive fray has only served to hone all sportbikes to a finer point; today's machines are better than many enthusiasts could have ever imagined, thanks to the revolutionary CBR900RR.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:08 PM

good find!! now if it were only still 1993!!

Old 07-19-2006, 07:27 PM

wow that has alot of info that i didnt know.. thanks for the post!!

Old 07-19-2006, 09:57 PM

no problem people!

it's ok if it's 2006, i'm stuck in the 90's lol

Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 PM

lol... the 90's was awesome! ahh, the good ol' days

Old 07-20-2006, 12:20 PM

Doesn't matter what year it is. The F2 is a classic, and, was the best bikeyou could buy when it came out. I take pride in that. Thanks for the post!!

Tylor

Old 07-20-2006, 02:47 PM

cbr04, cbrjeeper no problem!

our bikes are so special!

last night someone asked if I was ever gonna get a "good" bike...I was like, I have a GREAT bike already!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:57 PM

Just came back from a nice ride

Felt great.

Man I love this bike !

Old 07-21-2006, 10:45 PM

we went to the track last night and about 5 people said" hey that was my first bike, that brings back some memories" but the best part was every person added " man i miss that bike, wow that bike looks good, i am about ready to get another one, wanna sell it" and of course i said nope!!