CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   Let's talk about lightening a Crankshaft (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/lets-talk-about-lightening-crankshaft-153256/)

underground-mpyre 02-23-2015 07:36 AM

Let's talk about lightening a Crankshaft

I am needing to swap out my transmission gears and fork. Thought about lightening my Crank while I am in there. I know CBRzone(APE) will do it for $225, but is there anything else I need to do other than drop it in(of course time it) and go?

Plus, what is the weight of the OEM Crankshaft and how much should the shave off?

Conrice 02-23-2015 08:33 AM

Replace your bearings! You need to ask them specifically what they're going to do to it. I know Falicon automatically checks to see if the crank is straight (straightens it if need be), and they clean and polish the journals.

If they do all of that, I'd measure everything with platigage to ensure proper clearances for your new bearings.

If they say they're not going to touch the journals, you'd probably be safe to just order new bearings according to the key Honda has in the manual.

underground-mpyre 02-23-2015 09:20 AM

I was informed that I need to balance my motor(pistons, rods, flywheel, etc.) too, is this true? APE said they lighten your OEM Crank 2 lbs. and they send it back to you. Is that too much?

74demon 02-23-2015 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre (Post 1286429)
I was informed that I need to balance my motor(pistons, rods, flywheel, etc.) too, is this true? APE said they lighten your OEM Crank 2 lbs. and they send it back to you. Is that too much?

Yes. Do they do it there?
After it's been lightened, you want to make sure the all the rotating parts are balanced together. The rods should be resized to make sure they're round and all are the same weight.

Less rotating mass will make the bike turn easier. It's a great mod if you do it right.

underground-mpyre 02-23-2015 09:43 AM

Does anyone know what stock weight is on the crank alone?

Conrice 02-23-2015 09:53 AM

Yeah, if you don't have it balanced, you'll get vibrations and it won't last as long. It'll have uneven bearing wear.

2lbs is quite a bit to take off a sportbike crank.

Conrice 02-23-2015 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre (Post 1286431)
Does anyone know what stock weight is on the crank alone?

Don't know the exact weight, but I'd say its somewhere around 22-25 lbs. (If you were looking for a rough estimate)

You need someone who has weighed it on an accurate scale.

underground-mpyre 02-23-2015 11:19 AM

So looking for crank bearings on Bikebandit.com and they offer 4 different bearings for the crank but only one number for microfiche illustration. Which bearings do I need?

1993 Honda CBR600F2 Parts, 1993 Honda CBR600F2 OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

74demon 02-23-2015 11:58 AM

Its's not loading the diagram for me.

But, wait to see if they grind the crank at all before you order them. When I have sent cranks and rods out to have work done in the past, they come back with the correct bearings.

Phil314 02-23-2015 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre (Post 1286435)
So looking for crank bearings on Bikebandit.com and they offer 4 different bearings for the crank but only one number for microfiche illustration. Which bearings do I need?

1993 Honda CBR600F2 Parts, 1993 Honda CBR600F2 OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Different bearings are for different clearance. They are listing 4 different sizes/colors. It also depends on if they resize the journals on the crank. You won't be able to do anything until after the crank work is done. This is for honda cars, but it explains it a bit more. You'll have to plastigauge it, do the math and then order the right color/size.

OEM Honda Crankshaft Main Bearings