CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Leaking gas..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking gas..

OK so about amonth ago i purchased my f2. I trailered it home stored it in the garage for the night woke up smelled gas and there were two smaller sized spots where it has leaked. Stopped leaking after like the 3rd night and hasnt since.. Now just the other day I was going to the gas station to fill up. The bike started sputtering on the way.. I switched it to the reserve tank filled up switched it back to on and parked it in the garage for the night. Now for the past two mornings i have woken up the the smell of gas in my kitchen and there are the two spots of gas once again.. I must add the first time it leaked i switched the gas shut off from ON to OFF for a night and that did not work.

Why is it doing this? Is it from switching it to the reserve tank or messing around with the shut off?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is the gas leaking from petcock carbs tank itself ? mine was leaking from the little hole on the back of the petcock needed new coverset for it. if its coming from the carbs your floats maybe stuck and from the tank will depend on from exactly where could be as simple as tightening the petcock to the tank.

Last edited by jk72180; 05-17-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jk72180
where is the gas leaking from petcock carbs tank itself ? mine was leaking from the little hole on the back of the petcock needed new coverset for it. if its coming from the carbs your floats maybe stuck and from the tank will depend on from exactly where could be as simple as tightening the petcock to the tank.
+1 for finding the source of the leak first

My bet would be on the pet-****, either too loose on the tank or rubber diaphragm inside it is losing it's ability to seal. If it is the pet-**** you can rebuild it (or replace it)

Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Like i said it's leaking in 2 places. I can see drip runs across the crank case cover on the left side and also underneath dripping off of the lower fairing. I have yet to take off any fairinsg but if it continues I will be taking them off.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM

taking them off is easy. just do it. takes like 5 min to pull lowers and tail. gas leaks are nothing to play around with. the last thing you want is your new bike turned into a fireball. probably is just one leak dripping out 2 places. petcock rebuild is cheap my local dealer had the coverset in stock for $40 and took like 5- 10 min to install. with the sputtering, sounds like that may be your problem

Last edited by jk72180; 05-17-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 AM

Well the fairings are off. Well I now kno its coming from somewhere rite below the gas tank but above the 4 air horns? as in picture... http://img.iwascoding.com/3/2011/04/...F08D44D6AB.jpg with just the side fairings off I cannot see much that is going on up there. Would taking off the gas tank be hell? Anything else I shud be looking for? Pictures are helpful thanks for who ever responds

Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Take it to a shop. This sounds like a job that may be beyond you if you think those are air horns.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:35 PM

tanks easy too. pull off seat should be a 12 mm on either side. then tank is a 12mm in back and an 8mm at the front. pull big hose(gas) and small hose(vacuum) off the petcock. lift off then to get to the carbs take the screws out to open air box then there are 16 more screws holding the lower portion of the air box to the carbs. id take some pics for you but i am currently on strike from pulling my bike apart lol and those "air horns" are, for lack of knowing the real name, like the intake manifold on your car

Last edited by jk72180; 05-18-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
Take it to a shop. This sounds like a job that may be beyond you if you think those are air horns.
It probably isnt a job for me but I think it's worth a shot, You kno? try to avoid spending the big bucks at the shop...

It's definitely the carbs that are leaking.. I got it down to the lower airbox so far. What I think I am going to do is just take in the carburetor to the local dealer. Since that seems to be the most difficult part.

I called the honda dealer and he suggested doing a complete carb clean? Is that what I want? Is that going to seal the leak?

Last edited by Atrom; 05-18-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 PM

unless your float bowls are loose or the floats them selves are stuck probably not if tht floats are stuck the gas will be coming out of an overflow hole on the bottom of the bowls ( i believe) never ahd it happen to mine but thats how it worked on my old dirt bike

Quick Reply: Leaking gas..