CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Which l.e.d kit to choose..

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Which l.e.d kit to choose..

The title say it all. I've been looking around ebay for plastic ever since i got the bike and finaly settled on the black and red, So cant wait for Santa to bring me that. But i'd also like to jazz it up at night with some sweet red and maybe some white l.e.d's! There's so many kits ranging from $19.99 to like $235 or more. Any help or past experience would be appriciated! Also how difficult is instalation? I've wired up cd players, does that mean i can do this? Thanks for any help in advance..

Old 11-28-2009, 08:19 AM

Most of the kits on ebay are a complete rip off. I installed this as a 2nd brake light so when I hit the brakes the entire back end lights up red.

It consists of 29x10mm and 3x5mm high output LED's. You'd probably be cheaper getting solder, soldering iron, wire cutters and some heat shrink than getting a entire kit.

The pictures dont do it justice.

Total cost for the red LED's was around £8.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 AM

im not a big fan of leds but i really like that idea. im always worried my tail light will go unseen at night but theres no way somebody could miss those. smart thinking, i might have to give that a shot.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM

Since I've had the rear LED's nearly every biker who Ive sat with in traffic at night has commented on them.

I cant recommend them enough.

Im going to install the white/UV LED's inthe front of the bike to illuminate the white marks on the road and the insides of the bike. Its all in the name of safety ofcourse.

If you'd like I could pm a step by step with pics on how to go about it. Its rather simple.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:34 PM

where did you get those lights? ive seen leds like that at autozone but i never thought about doing that until i saw urs.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:54 PM

If you type in 'led component' into google you should get a fair few electronic component sites.

Make sure you get high output, 12v led's. The more you buy the cheaper they are. If you are new to led's Id suggest getting prewired led's as this will save you alot of work later on.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the kit in my sig, Fusion MC-6 million color kit. For the million colors, it's $149. Dunno the price on the single color.

For ease of installation, the hardest part is figuring where to hide the extra wire (battery compartment). The lines are a set length with m / f connectors so there's no soldering. The company that makes them also sells Y splitter cables so adding a pod is simple as well. The controller also has leads for a 2ndary power source, so I could do as Preid did and hook the kit into the brake system. I'm leaning more towards hooking it into my alarm tho.

Brightness is hard to judge. The rear of my bike is pretty damn bright but there are 4 pods back there under the tail on my bike. I'm going to expand the kit because the center of the bike needs light. Forks & front fender are lit to my satisfaction.

Cool factor? Wellll.... I don't know what the law is on having my LEDs flash while riding so I err on the safe side, using a single color. I love not being locked into any single color. I usually do set it to million color breathe mode when going into a store or making quick stops. From the people loitering around when I come out it definitely grabs attention.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:59 AM

[quote=Preid;860831]Most of the kits on ebay are a complete rip off.

Why do you say that? and thanks for all the replies, sweet idea on the second brake light! I think i'm still gona go for a complete led kit. Sorry i didnt read closer before but did you mention where you got the led's for the second brake light? That would still be a good place to install them!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:08 AM

[quote=young_gun;861051]
Originally Posted by Preid
Most of the kits on ebay are a complete rip off.

Why do you say that? and thanks for all the replies, sweet idea on the second brake light! I think i'm still gona go for a complete led kit. Sorry i didnt read closer before but did you mention where you got the led's for the second brake light? That would still be a good place to install them!
The kits on ebay, if you were to buy the components yourself and were able to program the IC Id be surprised if it ran past the £20 mark.

Paying £100+ for a few led's connected to a controller is madness in my eyes. My bike is part of my electronics project, I intend to get the UV's installed but atm im currently saving for other things (im a broke *** student lol).

It all depends on what effect youre after. If its just simple white/red light's you can go down the route I took and afterwards you'll have the soldering iron, cutters ect to boot. Ontop of this its easy and v cheap to add to if you want more light. If you go down the 4 trillion colours route its going to be costly but from what I see its worth if youre into the fancier side of led's. I was originally looking at a led kit on ebay but after seeing the prices decided to d.i.y it.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=young_gun;861051]
Originally Posted by Preid
Most of the kits on ebay are a complete rip off.

Ebay 'kits' are usually poorly made, home soldered junk they got from Radio Shack.

Here's the propaganda from the guys that made my kit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfBEq...layer_embedded

Quick Reply: Which l.e.d kit to choose..