CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

KINKY ?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KINKY ?????

Now that I have yer attention, here's a pic of my master link, I cleaned and lubed the mo fo but it kinks when it travels over the front sprocket, I hear a an oily clack as it travels over the front sprocket even when I straighten it out WTF !!!!! I am lookin into the 520 conversion -1in the front +2 in the back but still a few weeks down the road.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4076/CEC638464E50430D8F754A8BD2762276.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Default RE: KINKY ?????

Well........said chain looks a bit rusty still. It is probably just a worn out roller. Besides, the clip master links are not as good as a rivet style anyway. Time for a 520 -1 kit. When my chain wore out it would look just like that only on more of the links than just one. I'd buy a new one honestly just to rid the clip.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:12 PM

Ya but master links are the way to go right ??? for removing and cleaning

Old 08-27-2006, 11:09 PM

absolutely get rid of that clip on type master link! I would not trust that with my life and limbs depending on it. I've personally have seen too many of them fail. Get the rivet type that needs to be peened in place. You may never have a problem with it, but have you ever seen the end result of a chain flying off a bike at speed? I have, it is not pretty.

just my opinion from what i've witnessed, your opinion may differ..

Old 08-28-2006, 01:28 AM

i hear about the clip on links failing all the time. but, i have to say, in all my years of riding everything from dirtbikes and ATV's to high performance street bikes, and even a few things that should have never been built (like my 600/1000 hybrid GSXR which has a 525 chain with clip on link currently on it and almost 170HP) i have NEVER seen it happen or had a friend who has either. if maintained properly and installed correctly by using a chain press before putting the clip on it wont ever give you any problems. yes i have seen chains break on drag bikes a few times and it was very ugly, but NONE of them failed at the master link. they wouldnt make it for racebikes if it was unsafe to have on your bike. 80% of things that fail, fail because of the method of installation and the installers ignorance of how to do it properly.

there is NO WAY a F2 with under 100HP at the crank will ever cause a chain to break under normal conditions/riding. the reason you have a kink at the master link is probably because:

1 it was installed with a link press and they smashed it down too much which caused it to be tighter than it needs to be

or

2 you did it yourself wirth a pair of vice grips or channel locks and bent the links side plate a little too much when you took it off to clean it last.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:58 PM

#2, [>:] I Flinstoned it with a slot screw driver to get the clip off then I used a c-clamp to press the master link out, not the proper tools I know, but it was all I had at the time and I was careful not to destroy link or the "O"- rings I soaked everthing in Kerosene and relubed w/90-W let it hang for a night to rid the chain of extra 90-W and pressed it all back together I made sure it was properly seated all the way( apparently I seated it a little much) I made sure the c-clip was striaght and had a good bite. I always try to keep it cleaned and relubed and adjusted