CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Just bought my first Bike 1994 f2

Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first Bike 1994 f2

Hey everyone,

Been lurking on the site for a while, and you all convinced me to buy my first honda this weekend. Heres the skinny. 1994 f2. rebuilt, and passed a recent inspection. The guy who owned it did all the work himself. He also let it sit for the last three years, only putting a total of about 150 miles on it in that time frame. When he started the bike yesterday, he told me that he had stored it indoors all winter, with stabilizer in the tank. So, it took a bit to get it started up, when it did start it was pushing a decent amount of white smoke, which at the time I assumed was either the stabilizer, or condesation. My friend took it for a ride, ran it through the gears and said it was really smooth, even better than his 99 r6. Anyway, when I got it home, I couldnt get the bike to start.. I eventually flooded it, and it coughed a bit and backfired once or twice. I guess what I am wondering is, is there a right and wrong way to get this bike started and warmed up. I have never owned anything with carbs, so the idle adjusting, and choke stuff is a bit foriegn to me. I am praying that its just inexperience that has caused this problem and not a deeper issue. Also, is seafoam really gonna clean the carbs? Or should i have my friend do it? * he is a bike mechanic *

Thanks
Daniel.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Default RE: Just bought my first Bike 1994 f2

Definately have your friend do it if he doesn't charge you too much. I'd also change the plugs to new ones. They will get fouled if you run too much oil or stabil through the gas. Then it will not want to start and will backfire.

Congrats - I like these F2's and F3's. Good bikes. They're just a little too tiny for my big frame though. (6'2", 205 lbs)

Old 07-07-2008, 05:27 PM

hey man i got a couplequestion. i saw where u were talking to the other guy about his 94 cbr 600cc f2. i am about ot buy one this week but i think he wants to much for it. here is the add http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/743752606.html
will you read it and let me know i already looked at the bike and got it checked out. there is nothing wrong with the engine, the only thing he did say was wrong with it, it also has to be tuned he got in when i lived in florida and he said it needs to be tuned because in fl it is at like 0degree and in tennessee we are 1800 feet up in the mountains. i also asked someone and they said not to get it because since it was in fl the pipes will have sand castles in side them. is that true? the price he told me with the helmet is $2300. he also said i would have to get a new jet kit. what is a good jet kit? also in a text he just sent me he said one of the throttle cable put on,but he said he already paid for it to be put on. what do you think about all that? please let me know when u can.
sry for it being so long i just want to make sure its a good deal.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the advice, bike comes out of the shop tommorow. New plugs, air filter, oil filter, oil, and a carb cleaning.

Will let you know how it goes

Daniel

Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 PM

Yeah, one of the things that probably would have made things a lot easier for you would have been to drain all the old gas out of the tank and replace it with some fresh stuff. Depending on the condition of the spark plugs and whatnot before you tried to start it, it could have started without incident with fresh gas.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Banned

Congratulations on the F2 purchase. You won't be sorry. I've had mine for almost 10 years now and have been very happy with it. I wonderif a 1000RR would make me happier, though....hmmmmm...

Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 AM

I am excited to get riding, lifelong dream to own a bike.. just never could make the finances work to afford one.. then I figured something kick *** out.. Make your girlfriend buy it for you! I will post some pics when I get it out of the shop. Also, Looking for a pipe for it, if anyone has one for sale.

Daniel

Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 AM

Congrats on your purchase of a F2. I have had mine for 2 years and even though I laid it down, I still love it. Do us all a favor and if you drink and ride DO NOT POST ABOUT IT!!!!!!!

As far as pipes go, I got mine from www.pipecity.com . I got a Jardine RT-1 titanium with race baffles. They have a large variety so you have plenty of choices.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Banned

I have a slip-on that was on my F2 when I bought it.It's a shortthing andwas too loud and obnoxious, so I got a different one. I can't even remember what kind it is. I'll look when I get home.The bike ran great with it on, though.Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you pic of it...

Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taco, best to make your own post for your questions, that way responses are directed for your issue and you don't thread jack the original.

I do know, according to the service manual, that you do have to tune the bike differently at higher altitudes. Download the manual from the "General Tech" section. As for the jetting and the piping issue...I'm at a loss, everything is stock on my bike. I think the sand is the least of your problems (Considering that can be cleaned out), I would be more concerned about the salt air.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought my first Bike 1994 f2