CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Introduction, Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction, Questions.

Alright, I thought Id introduce myself to the F2 guys. Im 18 and I just picked one up for $1700(details in the new members area) and I have a few questions...First off, say Im sitting at a stop sign and I was in 5th coming up to it, if I dont downshift before I get to the stop sign it wont let me downshift into 1st, itll stay in like 3rd and I have to burn the clutch to get going. Is this normal that it wont let you downshift while stopped if youre up in the gears? Number two, theres oil on my forks, I thought it was just the seals, but I brought it to a local bike shop and they said the forks were effed and if I replaced the seals it would just keep leaking, he said to just keep checking the oil because its not worth fixing, See picture below for the damage. I might have a few more as I go on, Thanks guys! And now for the pics
Yes I will be repainting it this winter because of the "graphics?" its ok for now but will probably just do white again.
Name:  cbr.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  48.8 KB
Name:  cbr2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  48.0 KB
Little chips in forks that causes it to leak unless I replace the fork tubes?(this is what the guy told me) do you think I should still replace the seals or not?
Name:  cbr3.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  27.4 KB
And finally my (dirty) toys! Im pretty much in my perfect place right now
Name:  cbr4.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  42.9 KB

Old 04-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Banned

Okay, for future note: Downshift BEFORE coming to a stop. Some one explained the logistics of the F2 transmission to me once upon a time, and it made sense why you can't downshift when stopped. It happens on other bikes as well so don't stress.

If you DO happen to get stuck in the wrong gear at a stop sign, you can make it work without having the clutch eat the difference. Put pressure down on the shifter, give it a bit of gas, and let the clutch out slightly. Your bike will jump down a gear. Rinse and repeat this process until you're in first. Easy fix!

Now, as for the forks... Get on ebay. Forks show up on there all the time. If you're lucky you can dig up some froks from a 94 F2, which will have more adjustablity on them than the prior years forks. Shouldn't run you more than $300 either, including the triple tree (which you don't need, but it typicaly comes with).

As for the graphics... save yourself the head ache and heart break. It's your first bike. Most people on sport bikes go down at least once when they're learning, and sometimes even when they're good. There is a DAMN good chance you'll go down too unfortunately, sorry man. I know i know, you'll say you'll play it safe and learn slow, or maybe you're thinking of those people who say they never went down. They're rare, so play it safe and don't invest a bunch of money into something that very well may just get crashed.

That said... Get frame sliders here. They will help you out in low speed (~40mph and below) crashes and general bike drops. They're damn useful, and don't cost ****. Then, go out and take an MSF course, or whatever is offered in your state. Then ride a year. If you still like the F2 at that time, THEN fix it up!

Best of luck, and be careful. This bike is old, and somewhat slow by modern sport bike standards, but considering it'll outrun the vast majority of sport cars on the road, and the fact it tops out at 145mph (and gets their insanely fast) speaks miles to the kind of trouble you can get yourself in.

Oh yeah, one last piece of advice. Don't try and keep up with anybody. Seriously ride your own pace. "I was trying to keep up" are famous last words.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:11 AM

Great post man, lot of information, yeah I figured out that if you slightly let the clutch out and give it a tiny bit of gas itll pop into gear, and doesnt sound like it wants to do that so I started downshifting before stop signs, so the forks are ******? I definately dont have the money for these right now because of registration and insurance but something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR-F...Q5fAccessories

They seem to run $100-$300, so it shouldnt be too horrible, thanks man

Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Hey, welcome to the formu... nice buy an F2 is a great first sport bike.
Ya, ebay for the forks. when they are pitted like that you won't fix em' with new seals. you can try smoothing them out a bit with REALLY fine steel wool.

You should always downshift (unless it is an emergency). make sure to rev-match as you go down (way easier on the transmission).

+1 for frame sliders ... will save you a bunch of cash WHEN you drop it.

These bikes are crazy fast ... even if it is ~18yrs old. A good rider on an F2 would fly past a new rider on a brand new 1000rr. Do not try and keep up to people!! though if you do get a little carried away on the throttle and you are coming into a corner too fast, trust your tires (buy good ones), brake HARD then let off the brakes and lean it over a bit more and LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. don't stare at the tree you are afraid of hitting that will guarantee you hit it.

Good luck with the new bike... looks decent (especially for $1700).

Old 04-13-2010, 04:29 PM

Hi koelzer

welcome to the forum. nice bike but maybe you should change the color, because the red on the NSRT is veeeeeeeeeeeeeery very cool.

but it's just my point of view, that's your bike and you do what you want on it.

But change it, haha lol.

Drive safe, enjoy the ride, you have a great bike.

Cris

Old 04-13-2010, 05:22 PM

rather then throttling the gas and clutch to change down at a stuck gear at a stop, i'll hold in the clutch and walk the bike a little forward while pushing down on the shifter. it'll pop right into the lower gear.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by fireWire
rather then throttling the gas and clutch to change down at a stuck gear at a stop, i'll hold in the clutch and walk the bike a little forward while pushing down on the shifter. it'll pop right into the lower gear.
I have been able to rock it back and forth a little and get the same effect.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered Users

If you put it up one gear, than you should be able to downshift all the way without rocking or walking it, that is my experience

Old 04-13-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks guys, just ordered a set of frame sliders, what do you guys think about matching up the white on my bike to the color of my srt?(called inferno red effect)

Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 PM

Don't even worry about colors yet. Replace your forks! Also, read the sticky threads and seriously consider replacing your R/R and Cam Chain Tensioner as well. Easy fixes and you'll learn more about wrenching.

If you're a new rider...go to a parking lot and master the following things:
1) Quick stop using mostly front with a little rear brake at speeds starting around 15-20mph. Your nose should be diving heavily and you should be stopping very quickly, but ease into it while you're learning. You want to lightly apply front brake, and then when the weight shifts forward, rapidly apply heavier front brake since the front tire is now loaded up.

2) Emergency swerves using counter-steering. Simply place an object in your path, ride toward it in second gear at like 20 and practice swerving around it to either side.

3) U-turns. Try doing u-turns in the space of two parking spaces. To get the tightest turns, lean the bike into the turn (it'll be a bit scary at first since you think it'll fall over, but keep the bike moving in first gear and you'll be okay) while simultaneously counter-leaning your body on the opposite side. So, if you're u-turning left, turn the handlebars left in first gear, lean the bike left, pivot your head way left, but lean your body to the right and weight the right peg.

Note that at faster speeds (30+mph) you want to be leaning to the inside of the turn, but for slow speed stuff like u-turns, it's the opposite.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzyBear; 04-13-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Introduction, Questions.