CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Installing integrated led mirrors on a 94f2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing integrated led mirrors on a 94f2?

hello, pretty new to the site. I'm currently caught in a dilemma of having to replace my front turn signals, and possibly a rear view mirror(its held together with JBweld right now).
I was looking around and saw a few sites that had reasonably cheap integrated led mirrors. I was wondering if any one has these on their bike and has any advice for installing them. such as whats the right type of relay switch to use when converting to using LED's from regular incandescent bulbs.
any information would be helpful, and thanks in advance!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 AM

Just splice it into the existing blinker wires, thats what I would do, then again im not an electrician

Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM

You can splice into the blinker wires, but your mirrors will blink fast if they are LED. You will need to figure out what size of resistor you need to place in the line to keep them blinking at a normal pace, unless of course you want them blinking fast.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jmbiro2
You can splice into the blinker wires, but your mirrors will blink fast if they are LED. You will need to figure out what size of resistor you need to place in the line to keep them blinking at a normal pace, unless of course you want them blinking fast.
Yeah, because LED's have a much lower resistance to current than standard bulbs the flasher will think that you have a burnt out bulb instead of the resistors installed. This causes what is called hyper-blink. The turn signals will blink really fast. To correct this you will need to install a resistor or a variable load flasher to compensate for the change in resistance. The easiest way would be to measure the resistance of your existing bulb and then measure the resistance of the LED setup. Radio Shack (The Shack, or whatever its name is now) has resistors in stock or you can order them off the internet. Solder them in line with the turn signals and you should* be good to go.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:16 PM

that makes a lot of sense, i've seen past posts about people using resistors but have the possibility of them heating up and possibly melting surround plastics.
I've seen pre fabricated relays for switching to LED's. I'm assuming you just switch the factory relay with the one for LED's or do you run it inline with the factory relay.
This has pushed me more towards getting LED turn signals. thanks for the information

Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 PM

also, how much faster do they blink. Is it so fast that people may not understand your intentions, like it looks more like its constantly on, or is it distinguishable that its "blinking". I'm just wondering how necessary it is to install resistors or a(n) additional relay

Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM

i put LED turn signal mirrors on my f2 and they are faster but you can definently see they are turning...just splice them in and if theyare too fast then worry about the resistor...IMO

Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 PM

thanks for the information. looking forward to doing this.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jmj166
that makes a lot of sense, i've seen past posts about people using resistors but have the possibility of them heating up and possibly melting surround plastics.
I've seen pre fabricated relays for switching to LED's. I'm assuming you just switch the factory relay with the one for LED's or do you run it inline with the factory relay.
This has pushed me more towards getting LED turn signals. thanks for the information
That relay would replace the original.

Originally Posted by jmj166
also, how much faster do they blink. Is it so fast that people may not understand your intentions, like it looks more like its constantly on, or is it distinguishable that its "blinking". I'm just wondering how necessary it is to install resistors or a(n) additional relay
I would say that it will blink about 3-5 times faster than stock? Pull out one of your turn signal bulbs and hit the indicator. That will be the blink speed that you'll get with LEDs.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

I swapped my rear blinkers out for LED blinkers when doing my fender Elim. The blinkers are faster, but I think it's more noticable because of this. Where I live the police tend not to pull you over for random ****, so that concern is out too.

I would like to consider going with integrated mirrors though. If there was a clean way to do them I would espescially like to install them. I do care about style as well though, so I'm curious how they look on our bikes.

You should install them and post some pictures!

Quick Reply: Installing integrated led mirrors on a 94f2?