CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

I'm just venting...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm just venting...

Hi guys... I am a brand new guy to this forum but not to motorcycling. Hate to tell you how long but sufficient to say- long damn time.
I have done several major restorations and got it into my head that a late 80's early 90's CBR600 would be fun to own for a while.

I am not trying to pick a fight nor to insult anyone here but... Been looking around my area and have gone out to see 4 bikes at this point. Every one was or had been in a crash. Nasty bodywork in pieces or missing completely. Dirty bikes, ill maintained, wear items ignored and so on. All 4 were promised to me great bikes, engines strong, and fast.

What is it about fast? Is this all these bikes are, is fast? Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I'm just in the wrong game but a serious question for you... are there quality bikes of this age and vintage that have been taken care of by adult people? Nothing wrong with ridden hard... I ride the stink out of my BMW's but I take care of them and nothing wrong with young people owning them but surely people of any age take care of their stuff.

What's the story here?

Help... if I am in the wrong game can someone please tell me so?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:31 PM

I am fairly young (or like to think so at 26) and I take care of my bike. Though it was in pretty rough shape when I got it. But what is wrong with a little bit of work... ya most F2's have been laid down at one time or another but that just means you can get it really cheap. Don't hate on the bikes just cause you are dealing with irresponsible owners... just tell them to lower the damn price and fix it up yourself with the left over coin.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

hehe, you sound a lot like me. That's just the type of people that sport bikes attract. Younger, less experience and wanting to push themselves and the bike. They get crashed a lot and then fixed with zip ties and duct tape. So yes it is hard to find an older sport bike in good shape. I looked at at least 2 dozen last time before I found one.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is in very good condition. Got lucky I guess.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Phil314
They get crashed a lot and then fixed with zip ties and duct tape.
I guess I should have used the screen name Old Fart... I learned a long time ago that nothing ruins a good day of riding like a crash. I tend to figure out what the limits are, or maybe better said- not try to find the limits- since "modern" bikes have limits that are up there in the "kill ya" or "mess you up" range...

I "think" I would like to ride a sport bike- just for the fun of the handling and quickness, but not for the blinding speed of it all.

Am I crazy?

Opinions welcomed... seriously lets chat about riding sport bikes. All opinions honored.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well in my opinion here is what the deal is.

me being young numerically(21), but in my own opinion not mentally...(im married, work full time, 0 credit card debt, etc etc. most of the things that are opposite of my age bracket)

we young people buy f2's old ninjas etc not because they are our dream bikes but because credit is hard to come by [(sometimes) but then again most idiots my age have no problem taking out 11,000 on a honda card with 23490724395% interest,] and because these bikes are CHEAP. i bought mine for 1300, all the plastic was garffed up, crap paint, chips dings dents etc. I bought it from a 19 year old who bought it for the same reason. now i am in the process of fixing it up, replacing bearings, painting, tuning, basic maintinence etc etc. the difference is i bought a bike for cheap wanting to fix it up and make it cherry. im not really a beginner and i am not lookin for a stunter, but my wife would only let me buy it if i could pay cash, and at the time 1300 is all the disposable cash i had.

Most people (not all) who buy these bikes are 16-20 year olds with a little extra cash and a big stupid head. they buy them and then when it comes time for any sort of maintinence they offload them to the next sap. mine needed tires, bearings, chain and sprockets, plugs, petcock. etc etc.

so long story short the tyical demographic cant afford to maintain the bike, doesnt know how to, and doesnt really care to. thats why there is $$$ in flipping these bikes. you buy these run down drags for 500-1000 bucks put another 500 in maintinence and then sell them for 2000-2500 in spring when the high school and college kids have the itch.

I am just as bitter as you, i hate it when people dont maintain what they have, and dont know how, but thats the name of the game. if you want a well maintianed bike expect to pay 3500 -4000 because they see all the crap ones going for 2500 like hot cakes and think they can get alot more. thats just my 2 cents, i may be right, i may be wrong but thats my story and im stickin to it

Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 PM

Browntown20s... that right there was well said. Thanks (OBTW, I 'm not bitter- just walking in a new world, and trying t figure it out (while carrying my old value system)

Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hopz
I guess I should have used the screen name Old Fart...
I guess I've just been an old fart my whole life. Sportbikes are just like everything else in life. There's a smart way to go and the way most people go. They ignore what they are told (if they even ask) and have to experience everything first hand. And experience is a great teacher. I've just been around long enough and seen way to many people who didn't get a second chance. That's what happens when you try to push the limits on the street. It always makes me laugh when I hear someone tell me how fast they are on the street. Dude, come to the track sometime, you've got no idea what fast is.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 PM

with all do respect u can eat **** doing 30mph or 130mph so for all those who think if u obey johnny law and it will keep u completely safe ur livin in a dream land, regardless of age when u throw a leg over your bike u know what your signing up for. its funny the stereo type of the young (****&vinegar) riders. its just as bad as an older know it all seen it all rider both attitudes are just as reckless. truth be told both are dumb stereo types old people can play ricky booby and young people can ride like p$%sies it more depends on the individual. gotta say though i got both my bikes on the cheap from ill experienced owners and it was a blast restoring them they both run awesome!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Phil314
That's just the type of people that sport bikes attract. Younger, less experience and wanting to push themselves and the bike.
Winner there!

You can sometimes find a really decent one, but chances are against that.. I mean, look how old the bikes are.. Old bike + young people = P.O.S. usually lol

Quick Reply: I'm just venting...