CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

If ANYONE can help me solve this charging problem...please this is killing me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If ANYONE can help me solve this charging problem...please this is killing me.

Guys, I am new to the forums but figure if anyone may know how to fix this it would be here.

I just recently picked up a 1993 CBR 600 F2. Everything seemed fine until a week later I the bike felt like it was "losing power" when I throttled it. I pulled over, let it cool for about 10 min, bike fired back up again and felt great. Then one night, BAM, bike dies at a light at idle and battery was just about dead. I let it sit for 1/2 hour, bump start it. BAM, I high throttle the thing home and get it there.

Wiring harness to the rectifier was melted, 2 of the yellow wires to the stator were pretty hot/melted a little as well. I have spent HOURS upon HOURS reading and hooking up a volt-meter to every kind of test imaginable. The bike passes the tests fine. I've taken it to 3 different shops and had them look at it. They have tested all hook ups/stator/rectifier ect and it all comes back fine.

THE PROBLEM::: For the life of me, the bike sits on full charge at 12.4 at idle, I can rev it to roughly 2.2-2.5k on the RPM and get it to about 13v charge....ANYTHING after that and it drops back down to 12.4v-12.1v and the battery just continues to drain.

This is killing me. I just moved again, trying to get a job, and nobody seems to know how to fix this or what is causing it. I have since then tried 2 different new rectifier, mine came back fine at the shop. Just put in a NEW stator. AND GUESS WHAT, THE SAME THING!

Is my last option a new rotor??? One bike shop said that it could be the rotor if nothing else is working. If ANYONE has any idea on how to help me with this, I will be in some major debt. Is there possibly anything on this bike that could be causing this charging issue? BTW We even tested it with another battery, same exact results.

Please, my email is ArathasDR@yahoo.com if you cant post here for some reason. God bless.

Hurting,
Jason

Old 11-09-2008, 04:24 AM
SJN
Default RE: If ANYONE can help me solve this charging problem...please this is killing me.

Have you tried a new rectifier ?

I also messured my rectifier, and could not messure any faults on it, but replacing it, cured my charging problem.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Banned
Default RE: If ANYONE can help me solve this charging problem...please this is killing me.

It's a very tricky thing to test the Rectifier/Regulator. My manual (don't have it with me right now, sorry) states very specifically only two types of meters to use when testing it. I assume all other meters are not sensitive enough orsomething.The R/R is a very good place to start with your problem and it won't set you back too much. Ebay has a pile of them, most between $50.00 and $100.00. The R/R is one of the weakest links in the F2s. My F2 did the same exact thing as yours and a new R/R fixed her right up.

Good luck Jason.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:50 AM

http://cbrworld.net/forums/permalink...howThread.aspx

Old 11-09-2008, 12:08 PM

Guys I really appreciate your posts/help.

This is just the thing, I already have aftermarket ones installed, and have tried OEM as well.

Electrosport stator (it has blue windings inside) and the rectifier is a TOUR MAX.

I'm about to just have this taken back in and have the rotor replaced.

Jason

Old 11-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you fix the wiring harness after it melted?

Have you tested the battery?

Old 11-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Hershey ya, I replaced all the wiring and the spades, everything.

Jason

Old 11-09-2008, 03:57 PM

where are you measuring the voltage going to the battery? Has the battery itself been tested or replaced?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:30 PM

ya battery was tested, and replaced as well.

This guy at a shop is telling me its the rotor. He says its rare but they can go out. I think i'm just gonna have to pay it and get it done. Anyone ever heard of a rotor going out though without the bike being laid over or anything???

oh well, thanks for the help
Jason