CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Idle problem n where do I adjust!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problem n where do I adjust!

Hey All,

I have A situation. I turn on my bike (only had it for 2 months) open the choke and after about two seconds it turns off. I do it again, but this time I hold the throttle slightly open, and after about a min it warms up on its own. After approximately 4 mins with the choke closed it idles around 1200 or so, sometimes touching 1k. Is that normal?

I then go for my usual ride around town and about a quarter of the way in to it, while coming to a stop at the light (clutch in, breaking, downshifting) it turns off. Now this begins to happenshortly after I pull in the clutch (Bike still in motion)it seems to idle so low that it turns off.

Is the bike not warmed up enough? Is the idle to low? And if it is, how and where do I adjust it? Cant find it in the manual.

The bike is a 93 f2 with 34,200 miles on it. I just had the seals in the float tube carb area replaced, jetted, Front suspension re-worked, oilserviced, rear sets and solo seat installed. It came with a Two Bros pipe. Other than that no other problems except that if it sits for more than a week or two the battery doesnt have enough juice to start it. I have to charge it for a bit and then the bike starts.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Default RE: Idle problem n where do I adjust!

Well, the idle adjustment could not be easier, when you sit on the bike with it running feel around inside the vents by your left thigh, the dime shaped **** is the idles crew/adjuster.

BUT, it seems to me you answered your own question...I would not mess with the idle. Try replacing the battery first...remember, the stator is not charging the battery under 3k rpm. If your bike is dying when the rpms get low the battery prolly does not have enough juice to fire the plugs...I had the same symproms when my RR was bad.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of details missing, so diagnosing is a little difficult.

For adjusting the pilot screws, you can check out the service manual (see general tech section). Like Edwardtn stated, the idle screw is under your left leg.

An F2 will typically start with one or 2 tries with full choke. After the engine starts increasing (usually about 30 seconds of running full choke), you can then shut the choke off. Also, like Edwardtn stated, the battery doesn't charge, BUT it shouldn't die either if you already have the bike running. IF you are draining the bike trying to start it, then I would troubleshoot the fuel air mixture and the ignition system.

Do you have a spark? All 4?

It is possible that your carbs are gummed up, and may need to clean them out. Prior to doing this, you can try tossing Seafoam treatment into the gas tank and let sit for a day.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:14 PM

hey Guys,

Thx for replying!! I re-read my manual (after some much needed rest) and found the same info regarding starting issues (troublshooting). I asked about the idle cuz I knew it was located on the left side but couldn't figure out how to adjust it. I saw one of the mech's adjusting somethingfrom right side (When they were tryin to figure out the idle problem)and assumed that there was another location to adjust.

The battery was replace before I left it at the shop. My mech did clean the carbs when he was performing all the other much needed maint and repair. I'm probably going to guess that it may be exactly what you said, "fuel/Air mixture." I think he even mention something about having to open her back up if I keep having the problem. Also as far as my battery...if it's left for to long it seems to drain. My mech has done continuity and voltage checks (infront of me) and everything checks out. I know that the rectifier can cause problems with the battery. Overall, I haven't had much time to ride it lately due to working 6 or 7 days straight. I'm going to ride it around the local streets this week and see what happens. I don't have any prob's on the fwy...only in stop and go traff.