CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Identifying warped rotor

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying warped rotor

Any tall tell signs of which rotor may be warped on a CBR F2? I can identify them in a car as that's where most of my mechanical ability started but I'm having a tough time on the bike. At first I thought it was the front but I have ridden making sure not to use the front brake and both rotors are cool to the touch.

I've noticed my outside pad on the rear is worn down more then the inside and I get a funny vibration on the rear. It sounds like the front but possibly the rear and I'm not hearing the noise right.

I plan on doing front and rear wheel bearings as I don't know when they were last changed or how they were taken care of. I would love to change all the rotors but at the prices they run I can't afford it right now, and its something I'd rather do over winter.

So like I said any tips or tricks to identifying the rotor that's warped?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:38 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lift up the bike with bolth wheels or 1 at a time set up a run out gauge and spin the wheel..you should be able to tell by riding though...

Old 07-04-2013, 11:09 PM

No center stand, but I've been looking into a stand. It's hard to tell where its coming from but it sounds like a rotor. You get a scrape like sound at a steady tempo that increases with speed. Only two things I could think of that are likely to change with speed, rotors and wheel bearings.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shelby.dimick91
... You get a scrape like sound at a steady tempo that increases with speed. Only two things I could think of that are likely to change with speed, rotors and wheel bearings.
Ok, does that scraping sound change when the brakes are applied? That will help you to diagnose things a little!
I will mention, that I have been required to change both front and rear wheel bearings, on two different F2s, and the failure noise usually involved a kind of clickety-clack noise, along with kind of a grinding noise and feel at the pegs/controls. Also, the sound will sometimes help you figure it out, when changing directions. What I mean is, let's say I've got a bad front wheel bearing, and it's on the right side of the wheel, not always, but sometimes, the noise will intensify or change, consistently, when leaning the bike to the right, due to the slightly increased load on that bearing set.

If you do aquire some stands, or come up with a SAFE way to get the wheels off the ground, one at a time, you might be able to find obvious disc warpage with the naked eye, though if they seem fine, using a runout test, like squale suggested, usually using a dial indicator, would be the only way to know for sure, though, you could also just remove the rotors, and use a completly flat surface/straight edge to check them.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:15 PM

The noise doesnt go away when the brakes are applied, just slows down. I have also noticed a vibration at the pegs like you mentioned. I have felt the bike responding a little odd in some leans but wasn't sure if its because I'm not used to bike completely yet.

At times it almost feels like the rear tire is flat but I watch my tire pressure and have good tread on a newer tire which is why I've decided to do wheel bearings for the peace of mind. The way it seems from what you guys said is the noise is more characteristic of a wheel bearing then rotor. I think I may do bearings first as they are cheaper, and will help my confidence immensely.

Thanks all!