CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

How much oil is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much oil is too much?

I always try to get my oil level as close to full as possible without going over, by "eyeing" it. I guess I don't have time to bother measuring. I always seem to put just a little too much in. Today, after an oil change (3 quarts regular, 1 quart synthetic, 5w 30), I topped it off just about 3-5 milimeters above the TOP of the "full" line. It was a long day and I was just too tired to drain anything and left it. At what point does one need to worry about engine damage from overfilling the oil? Or better put, at what point should one drain excess oil. Thanks!!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:34 AM
Welcome Crew

Thats a pretty good question. I'm pretty demanding on myself when it comes to changing my oil and checking the level. It may not sound like alot but the case on these engines is smaller then a vehicle. Being over what appears a small amount, may actually be too much in these smaller engines. That being said, I've put almost 4 quarts in mine, but never 4 exactly. If its 3-5mm over, is this before you turned it over to get the oil through or after? If its after I would probably drain a bit. But then again I could just be paranoid. I just prefer to err on the side of caution.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by gtcole
Thats a pretty good question. I'm pretty demanding on myself when it comes to changing my oil and checking the level. It may not sound like alot but the case on these engines is smaller then a vehicle. Being over what appears a small amount, may actually be too much in these smaller engines. That being said, I've put almost 4 quarts in mine, but never 4 exactly. If its 3-5mm over, is this before you turned it over to get the oil through or after? If its after I would probably drain a bit. But then again I could just be paranoid. I just prefer to err on the side of caution.
Def. having the oil right is huge on bikes. It's amazing how much smoother and buttery the clutch is after the oil change. The level was after I'd ran the bike many miles on the street, after I let it sit for several minutes to let the oil sit back down in the case. This is the proper way to do it I believe. Run engine for 5-10 mins, let sit for 3-5 mins, then check. I'll probably drain a little out. You're right about the case size. I hate having to unscrew the drain plug just for this though. I some long, thin rubber tubing i'll probably use to extract some, little by little from the top.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Leave it alone. A little extra wont hurt anything. Stunters over fill all the time so the pick up can pick up oil during wheelies. It will probably use a little before you next oil change anyway.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Leave it alone. A little extra wont hurt anything. Stunters over fill all the time so the pick up can pick up oil during wheelies. It will probably use a little before you next oil change anyway.
Thanks, yeah I just left it. It's really not too much overfilled I don't think. It's almost like the oil climbs up the stick and flattens out a bit if you don't take it out and read it really fast. Either way, I don't think my engine will complain

Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run extra oil for the odd wheelie now and then on my F4 and I don't notice any problems.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Too much oil will affect performance. Filling the case will cause lots of issues.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 PM

I would stick to OEM specifications which is 4 quarts. A little extra shouldn't hurt.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI - OEM capacity is 3.7 quarts.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
FYI - OEM capacity is 3.7 quarts.
Exactly. I think it miiight be 3.8 with filter change not sure. But if it's 3.7 with filter change, i'd say I added about 1-2/10ths of a quart too much. Thanks J-Man.