CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

How much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much?

The age old question: How much should I pay for an F2?

I'm looking to build another F2. Either for one of my kids or my wife. Or perhaps I just want another bike project to keep me busy, I don't know. Bikes are soooo much easier to work on than cars!

At any rate, how much is reasonable for say, a bike with a good engine, an unbent frame, all gauges and brakes working but no plastics. I only paid $300 for my bike but I realize I got a great deal.

I'm thinking about buying pieces and just putting one together using aftermarket parts wherever I want too. This really appeals to me.

I found a clean titled frame, shock and swing arm for $50. I'm getting that no matter what. I can always turn that over later for a profit, I'm sure.

But how much is reasonable, not too much and not too little, for a clean titled F2 with at the very least a good engine and assorted running gear?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess it depends on what cond its in...but if your lookin to do a project then maby try to find a beat up one for a few hundred..im a very big F2 enthusiast and am always lookin for another to pick up but from what iv seen out there they priced 500 to 3k avarage depending on cond...

Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM

I'd go around 1 grand for one with no fairings but runs VERY good and is clean titled.

I take in to consideration that the F2 is worth between 1500 to 2000 bucks, then you take away the 500 to 700 bucks worth of fairings and that's what you get. That's just how I figure in my price hunting. Also you can use the NO fairings as a barging chip, for the simple fact, A bike with no Fairings has a 80% chance it was wrecked, their are some people that take off fairings and make streetfighters from perfect bikes, but not many. Most are wrecked.

I'm also looking for a spare bike, I'd like to find a F2 or F3 to teach my gf to ride and also to have just as a cruise around bike. They are WAY more comfy to ride around town then my F4i.

Last edited by jveach; 02-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 PM

Thanks guys.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 AM

I picked up my f2 with 21k miles on it for 1600. Was listed for 18! Was in perfect working condition, had also been powdercoated nicely and had a yoshi pipe and an f4 spring. Needed tires and a chain shortly after i purchased, but I still believe it was a good deal! My friend picked his up for 1400 with a cracked fairing, wasnt too bad either.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:00 PM

I picked up my f2 a couple of weeks ago for 2 grand. That was with an 8 inch stretched swing arm and a new back tire. Fairings were in pretty good shape. I did have to buy a new r/r but that was about it

Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 PM

I wouldnt buy one id build one. Usually and I say usually, f2 riders are cheap ****s, They are nice bikes but dirt cheap. I started on an f2, and still have 2 of them buy since then have bought an 06 r6 and 07 gsxr 600, 06 gsxr 750, ect..

Now with that in mind I have found that the owners of these bikes think there worth 3k. Listing options like yoshi pipe, 520 kit, new tire ect. all those have almost no resale value but they paid 1500$ and want that money back.

Ive built one and with that had addons like clipons rearsets 520 ect. I spent like 1500 to build one from ground up stock and another 700 in aftermarket parts to make it track worthy.

IMO if you want to teach your son or wife, give them yours and upgrade.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by script
I wouldnt buy one id build one. Usually and I say usually, f2 riders are cheap ****s, They are nice bikes but dirt cheap. I started on an f2, and still have 2 of them buy since then have bought an 06 r6 and 07 gsxr 600, 06 gsxr 750, ect..

Now with that in mind I have found that the owners of these bikes think there worth 3k. Listing options like yoshi pipe, 520 kit, new tire ect. all those have almost no resale value but they paid 1500$ and want that money back.

Ive built one and with that had addons like clipons rearsets 520 ect. I spent like 1500 to build one from ground up stock and another 700 in aftermarket parts to make it track worthy.

IMO if you want to teach your son or wife, give them yours and upgrade.
I like this! There's a new 2011 600RR for under 10K in the Honda shop in Wenatchee. I've got some serious wood! Somebody call a lumberjack!!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^hahaha, im so close to building my bike yet still want a new one

Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM

Hell, theres nothing wrong with building one, im in the process of a ground up rebuild, but thats only because I have the time and some spare cash. My dad and I both started on the f2's so we had 3 of them. Prepped them up for the track ($1500 each) and I out grew the power on the f2 after my first season at the track. It didnt have enough power to keep up with the FI 600's. And road america is like 4.2 miles, so that bike would top out 1/2 way down the main straightaway at like 144 mph.

Im now rebuilding one because i want to get into racing, and cant afford to be competetive in the newer classes without some major engine work which i refuse. The f2's as i have read are quite good in the vintage classes vs SV's. I also was keeping both of my f2's around so i could let people i know ride at the track without risking much financially, until they get the bug, then they will want to sell a kidney to get to the track like me.

I dont know if you ride at the track or have any interest, but I can gaurantee if you do decide to get to the track, you will NOT ride on the street. It fully takes the enjoyment out of riding 1/10 of your ability, with traffic, gravel, cops, and cars.

I would take your f2 and get to the track, they are cheap as hell to repair compared to newer bikes. If you want something new, it would be smart to go to the track and let some top notch instructors teach you how to ride. Even if you get the bug, you will learn very quickly even if you have ridden for 10 years, you will learn more in one day at the track than you have probably ever learned. Then after you get your feet wet, invest in a nice newer bike, you will improve your chances that the new one wont go down. I dumped a new r6 and it had minimal cosmetic damage and the repairs cost 1900$ and I did the work, for a 20mph crash. No one needs that bill.