CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

How to fix radiator leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix radiator leak?

Hey kids...

Riding my 93 F2, had a little spill a few days ago... been going over the bike making sure everything is good before I get back on her. Everything checks out except for the radiator. I hit a cub going about 25-30 and now I have a leak.

One corner of the radiator is a little crushed which is where I think the fluid is leaking out from. Took a pic of it for reference..

IMG_2292.jpg?t=1244123113

It doesn't look too bad but I have no idea on how to fix it and stop the leak. I doubt I would need to buy a whole new one but if I have to I will.

Isn't there an automotive fluid that, when added to radiators, is supposed to plug up the leak from the inside..? does that **** really work..?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Best,

Kaz

Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 AM

almost everyone that ive heard from said that the leak fixer that you get from the autoparts store clogs up your radiator.

i had a similar leak in mine last year and this worked really well.
go down to the autopart store and look for JB Stick or Magnasteel. Its a putty, that like jb weld, once activated and placed in position creates a patch.
drain the radiator, flush with water clean the outside. Take a dremel to the area and rough it up. you want to remove the surrounding paint and score the metal so the putty has something to latch on to.
take a chunk of the JB stick and activate it by kneeding it. when it gets hot you've got about 5 minutes to get it into place before it gets hard. push it into the damaged area and spread it uniformly to the surrounding areas. if theres too much its not a problem as you can sand it down later. once it dried, you can sand it and paint it no problem.

this is an okay fix.
the best thing you can do it take it to an autoshop that works on radiators and have them TIG (i think its tig but im not certain) weld the spot to seal the leak.

good luck

Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Banned

sweet... I know of JB weld and how to use that stuff.. Didn't think of that before though...thanks for the advice!

Kaz

Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 AM

i would probably look for a new one. I mean yea those fixes would be perfect for a car but i dont know if i would trust them on my bike. my 2 cents

Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

i agree radiator fluid gets hot and its kind of slick last thing i want to do is get sprayed with radiator fluid while im doing 80 mph or have it leak on my tire andme bust my a**. I think in the long run your just gonna want to replace it. I would then you dont have to keep watching it and making sure its not leaking everywhere and you have fluid in your bike. If you replace it you can ride and just enjoy it. Thats just what i think. I would buy a used one off ebay or off someone on here.

Last edited by durty116; 06-04-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned

thanks fro the advice guy... posted in the "Wanted" section to see if anyones got a spare I can get.

All the best,

Kaz

Old 06-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also check with a radiator shop and see how much it would be to repair. If cost to repair is less than a new/used radiator, I'd have it repaired professionally. A radiator is a radiator, if the shop tells you otherwise, find a different shop.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Banned

I was actually thinking of doing that... I mean its a freakin aluminum radiator... a little welding to seal her up and I should be good to go.

Thanks

Kaz

Old 06-04-2009, 10:30 PM

I'm sorry but isn't the radiator brass? No JB weld IMO... just peel it off take it to a rad shop and they will simpley solder the hole, if you've soldered plumbing pipes you can solder this. It's cheap, reliable and permanent.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Radiator is aluminum or steel, brazing is the best option.

Quick Reply: How to fix radiator leak?