CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Hi all, new to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all, new to the forum

First, I'd like to say hi to everyone. Since I just purchased my first motorcycle, a 1992 F2 I figured I would be asking a lot of questions and felt this was the best place to say hi. Anyway, before my purchase, I did a lot of searching through this part of the forums and found a lot to help me decide on what to buy. I just basically wanted something for a work commute, but lower displacement size stuff seemed too small (6'-1" 275lb here) and this kind of fell into my lap as I was chatting with someone one day last week. It's a very fine bike and I'll have to post some pictures as soon as I take a few.

Since I got the hello out of the way,I need to ask a few very basic questions.

1. What gas do you all recommend using? I was told to use the Ultra 93 type whenever possible, but was wondering if that was really necessary.

2. The person I just got it from put regular 87 octane fuel in it as he ran out at one point and it was what was in his gas can. The bike runs OK like this, but should I dump some octane boost in there and run it until it is almost empty? (if I should use more than 87)

3. What should the RPMs be at when idling? -I ask this because the bike is idling right now at about 1,500, but it seems a bit fast.

I know much of this may be in a manual or service manual, but I don't have one yet. (watching a few on eBay)

Thanks much in advance!

Mike

Old 06-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Default RE: Hi all, new to the forum

Welcome.....

Good decision you have made on buying a F2 I bought mine last year and have not stopped loving it, every second of riding it is like a dream. Anyways, I am not too experienced with this bike but I too have asked alot of questions on this forum and have gotten good responces.

Your idle is perfect mine also sits at exactly 1500rpm I was told that is what it should be and my manual says the same thing.

I'm sure there will be a disagreement on what type of gas touse everyone seems to think one is better than the other but I think they all work just fine. Try using premium see how that tank runs and then put regular in it and see which one you like better.

Again welcome to the site I hope you get as much help as I havegotten in the past.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:04 PM

1. high octane
2. sure
3. 1500-1750 should be good.

enjoy your new bike. don't forget to lube your chain often, it will thank you.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 PM

after running all different octanes in mine I settled on the 87. Liked the way it ran better, if there is even a difference. As long as you aren't pinging it would be fine, and octane boost isn't really going to be needed, justa few bucks for something unnecessary. And welcome to the site.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 AM

Here is the deal with high-octane fuel. First off, higher octane fuels is less volatile than lower octane fuel. The goal is to completely burn the fuel in the combustion chamber before the exhaust cycle, without having excess fuel in the chamber (backfire)or igniting fuel under compression (misfire). Because lower octane fuels are more volatile they burn faster and more completely during the ignition cycle...but they also are more likely to ignite under compression. Because of this, theoretically it is best to use the lowest possible octane that without misfiring under compression, what octane level that is varies from engine to engine. I believe 93 octane is suggested for most (if not all) 4 cylinder sport bikes because of there high compression. But if you can run 91, 89, or 87 without adverseeffects than it should be okay and perhaps better.