help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation help needed

hi there,,
ive got a cbr 600 f2 for over 5 years,, grate bike,, problem is
had the bike running last month, went to start it and there was nothing there,,
took the battery off and gave it a full charge,, now every time i put the battery on it blows the 30amp fuse on the starter solinoid,,
ive gone through 15 fuses now,,
i have fitted a new regualr/rectifier and a new starter solinoid,,
fitted the battery and as soon as the negative touches the battery is blows the fuse,,
i unplugged the regualtor, connected the battery and everything works,, plug the regulator back in and the fuse blows again,,
really need some help,,

Old 10-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Hi sorry to hear about your trouble, to me it sounds like you have a major electrical short to blow your 30 amp fuse, as you say in your post it blows whne you putthe negative on your battery, this is because your making a complete circuit as your electrical system is grounded to your frame. i would look to find a bare wire that has rubbed through. if that fails unplug all of your electrics and plug them in one at a time and when it blows you'll know what area to look at.

most wires rub through under the seat, tank and around the starter motor, when you do this it might be best to remove the fairing so you can see the pop or flash of a bare wire, if it blowing 30 amp fuses you'll se it stright away.

i hope this helps

Jimbo

Old 10-17-2010, 03:49 PM

And if you still don't see it pop or flash, try it at night

Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've done the plug thing 1 by 1. But it all seems fine till I plug the regulator connector in. That's when it blows. Carnt see why as it's bloody brand new. All the wires are ok. Striped them all down. Checked the sealed back up in heat wrap. Thinking it could be a dodgy regulator or cdi?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by stoneytony
Thanks for the reply. I've done the plug thing 1 by 1. But it all seems fine till I plug the regulator connector in. That's when it blows. Carnt see why as it's bloody brand new. All the wires are ok. Striped them all down. Checked the sealed back up in heat wrap. Thinking it could be a dodgy regulator or cdi?
Could be, electronics are hit or miss. The same regulator can last 20 years or 2 days... They are weird like that.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 PM

On your regulator has it a bare back i.e steel showing??? if there is then you need to have a isolation barrier between your frame as it short out on the frame. this could be your problem anything will do like a bit rubber.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM

You said the starter relay fuse blows when the battery is connected. Does it blow when the key is turned or just when connected?

You said it doesn't blow when the regulator is removed from the circuit. You said everything works. Do you mean the starter turns over? Or does it start and run?

What do the wires and the connector from your regulator look like? Chances are the circuit that is shorting out will have burnt connectors and/or wires. You may need to open up the wrap around the wire bundle from the regulator to inspect the wires for burning through.

Looking at the wiring diagram, I see four wires running from the starter relay. Two of them control the relay that sends max voltage to the starter. The other two are joined to the end of the 30A fuse. One (R) goes to the ignition switch. The other (R/Y) runs to the regulator. Sounds like one or both of these could be your culprit.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM

dumb question but are you hooking up the batery backwards? ive seen ppl do it and it will blow the main fuse.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 AM

The regulator is bare metal at the back but the original one was like that too. When unplugged forom the regulator I just get all lights. Will not tick over. All the wires are ok. I've striped them all and nt one of them is bare. The bike will not tick over as it blows the starter solenoid fuse every time the negative touches the battery. And yes the battery is the right way round lol.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Here's a 91 f2 wiring diagram. If you look at the top left of the diagram you will see the 30A fuse and connectors. The fuse protects the circuits from the ignition and the regulator. The relay dumps voltage to the starter when the relay is energized by the other two circuits.

Current should flow from the positive terminal of the battery to the relay when the key is turned and the starter circuit is engaged. Unless,... something in the regulator or starter circuit is shorted. Then the current will attempt to go through the 30A fuse, which blows and protects the circuits. Or, the battery ground is no good and the current is attempting to complete the starter circuit through the reg/ign circuits. Hence the fuse blowing.

If it blows the fuse when the key is off and the battery is connected with the regulator plugged in it has to be the regulator or its circuits shorting. Especially when you can connect the ground with the reg removed and not blow the fuse.

Interesting that the bike will not fire and run without the regulator. It should run off of the battery until the battery runs out of juice. Unless something else is shorted. Hmmm. Gotta love electricity.

Attached Thumbnails help needed-f2-wiring-diagram.jpg  

Quick Reply: help needed