CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight problem

well my bright light will only work if its idiling if im riding it will blow the bright light part of the bulb but not the dim any help wuld be great

Old 10-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Default RE: headlight problem

more info would be helpful. so you are sayin the high beam blows out when you ride. after market bulbs?

Old 10-07-2007, 06:19 PM

yea its a bulb from autozone yea it will only blow when im riding if i just let it sit there and itle it will not blow

Old 10-07-2007, 09:27 PM

what do you mean by 'blow'? can you see the filament actually 'die'? or does the light just stop working?

either way, it sounds like a charging issue. either over charging or under charging.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:54 AM
SJN

Just a guess... Maybe your R/R is dying, and making too many volts when the bike is reving.
Try messure the voltage on the battery poles while reving the engine.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:16 PM

yea the filament aculalybruns or blowsout im thinking power to ground short in the bright light posably

Old 10-08-2007, 11:28 PM

ORIGINAL: SJN

Just a guess... Maybe your R/R is dying, and making too many volts when the bike is reving.
Try messure the voltage on the battery poles while reving the engine.
I was thinking the same thing.....
A bad ground would effect both the low and the high, since these are H4 bulbs, they share a common ground. The high beam pulls a lot of voltage (compared to the low beam), and if your R/R is going/bad, it will give too much current, blowing your bulb.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: socale30

A bad ground would effect both the low and the high, since these are H4 bulbs, they share a common ground. The high beam pulls a lot of voltage (compared to the low beam), and if your R/R is going/bad, it will give too much current, blowing your bulb.
I believe this to be incorrect. They share the same power. The low beam has its own ground as well as the high beam. Switches control the ground side, never the power side. If you've ever noticed on your bike when you have the headlight on at idle its not as bright as it is when u free rev the engine. When you rev it gets brighter b/c the r/r givesthe bikemore juice. Sounds like its a bad ground on the high beam side. The ground may be enough to handle it at idle but when it gets more juice it'll pops b/c the ground isnt good enough. I believe i've read a few times about ppl having problems with their headlights and it was the switch itself on the left handbar being the problem. Do a search to get some more info and read up on other problems ppl have had before you go ripping things apart to fix the problem.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Banned

It's no big deal to take apart the left side controls, or the right side for that matter.Two screws and your in! Might be a good place tostart. Check for loose orbroken connections in the switches.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: 6zoomzoom6

ORIGINAL: socale30

I believe this to be incorrect. They share the same power. The low beam has its own ground as well as the high beam. Switches control the ground side, never the power side. If you've ever noticed on your bike when you have the headlight on at idle its not as bright as it is when u free rev the engine. When you rev it gets brighter b/c the r/r gives the bike more juice. Sounds like its a bad ground on the high beam side. The ground may be enough to handle it at idle but when it gets more juice it'll pops b/c the ground isnt good enough. I believe i've read a few times about ppl having problems with their headlights and it was the switch itself on the left handbar being the problem. Do a search to get some more info and read up on other problems ppl have had before you go ripping things apart to fix the problem.
Close...but you have it reversed. There are 3 prongs (or 3 slots on your plug). One is the 'hot' for the low beam, one is the 'hot' for the high beam, and the 3rd is the ground/common.

If you have access to a multimeter, test your connections (look for spiking over 13v)

Quick Reply: headlight problem