CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

head light went out, fuses are fine

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head light went out, fuses are fine

headlight went out and all the fuses are fine? whats wrong, weve got the whole thing tore down and cant fine any flaws and its not the bulb
thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Default RE: head light went out, fuses are fine

headlight relay? maybe the bulb itself?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 PM

check the voltage across the battery at idle and above 5k. headlights being burned up could be a sign of over charging the battery and frying the RR

Old 05-27-2008, 06:36 PM

let me reword that, could be a sign of frying a RR and overcharging the battery which in turn could push more volts and or amps through the headlight system

Old 05-27-2008, 06:53 PM

Check the socket to make sure you have voltage where it should be both with key in the on position and with the bike running.

The other things to look for is that the dimmer/horn switch is properly grounded as the ground is the same for the horn, front turn signals, and headlight according to the manual.

The circuit basically starts at the 10 amp fuse then heads through the engine stop/starter switch that controls the circuit. From there it looks like a wire heads to the horn/dimmer switch where it is either sent to the headlight as the high or low beam. The ground is as described above. Before the starter switch on the right handlebar the wire comes from the main 30 amp fuse.

The three wires coming from the headlight should be blue/white/green.
The wire going from the headlight switch over to the starter switch is blue with a white stripe.
The wire going from the 10amp fuse to the startr switch is a black and red wire.

This info is from the wiring diagram 19-1 in the service manual.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 PM

happened to me, some time ago, my reason was a disconnected wire in starter housing. the ground i believe. this may or may not be ur problem.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned

Like MikeInCtown said, check the wires coming into the starter button. The solder joints there have a tendency to break and the hot wire to the headlight comes through there. Try wiggling the starter button a little while the bike is running and see if you can get the headlight to flicker at all.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 PM

I had this happen to me last year, and I discovered that my starter button was not completely releasing. I actually pulled the button back and the lights came on. Not saying this is the issue for you, but worth a look.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:16 PM

Same thinghappened to me this spring, I ended up replacing the entire wiring harness. Works now. May you have better luck in findingthe problemthan I. Wish I had known about those solder joints before, though.Fixeda solder jointproblemin my RX-7 a few years back, never gave it a thought it might apply in this case. Anyway, good luck.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Thanks folks for this thread...you just saved my ***...it was the solder joint...good thing I solder professionally..other than being painted with black corrosion paint it looks completely stock...thanks again

Quick Reply: head light went out, fuses are fine