CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Hard to start my F2

Old 02-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start my F2

Hello there.

I am trying to start my F2, but that was harder than i expected. The motor turns, but theres only small signs of spark, it sounds like its just about to start any second, exhaust is coming out, and BANG, backfire.

The fuel switch has been on OFF position in weeks, so i figured i had to let it stay on ON for a day or so. Tried to start it again, and it ignites a bit more now, but not enough to get it running. Just exhaust and some backfire.

Ive changed the battery to a brand new one, and im keeping it inside since its cold outside where the bike is. About 23* F...

Anyways, I checked the oil, and it was almost empty? Just a small drop of oil on the stick. Do i need to check the level when the engine is on operating temperature? Its no leak or something, i can see that from under the bike. It has been staying outside for two three months now, in cold weather. Previous owner had a garage, so its used to stay inside in warm conditions.

What to do? Just wait for warmer weather and hope it starts then?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:30 AM

Just for starters, are you using the choke when your trying to fire the bike?
If so, sounds more like a carb or petcock problem

Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 AM

I had a helluva time starting my F2 yesterday. Mine had a dead battery for the last month or so probably, and I wanted to run it just to keep things fresh in there. I jumped it to my car which has a very strong battery, and even then, starting was difficult. The temperature was about the same, 26* F I believe. It probably took about 45 seconds in all of cranking. I would crank for 10 seconds or so with the choke on, and maybe get little bits of ignition, and then they would stop. Then I'd shut the bike off for a minute or so and try again. Eventually it did start. But like I said, it wasn't easy. The cold weather really has a serious effect on starting up our bikes.

Do check that oil level, though. When you do, make sure the bike is vertical (right guys?). The bike should probably be a bit warm when you check... I know cold oil becomes a honey-like consistency and flows very poorly, which is of course why cold starts are the most harmful to engines.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by berga
I had a helluva time starting my F2 yesterday. Mine had a dead battery for the last month or so probably, and I wanted to run it just to keep things fresh in there. I jumped it to my car which has a very strong battery, and even then, starting was difficult. The temperature was about the same, 26* F I believe. It probably took about 45 seconds in all of cranking. I would crank for 10 seconds or so with the choke on, and maybe get little bits of ignition, and then they would stop. Then I'd shut the bike off for a minute or so and try again. Eventually it did start. But like I said, it wasn't easy. The cold weather really has a serious effect on starting up our bikes.

Do check that oil level, though. When you do, make sure the bike is vertical (right guys?). The bike should probably be a bit warm when you check... I know cold oil becomes a honey-like consistency and flows very poorly, which is of course why cold starts are the most harmful to engines.
Ah okay, then i guess its the cold that does it. My bike stands on a stand that holds it vertical.

Ill probably just gonna drain the oil, i can remove the oil plug and let it drain for some days, if the oil is thick. I got ma service book, and ill just pour on the required amount of oil

But yea, i really want to start it and let it run for some time to get warm, just to get everything in motion and not stuck. Ive heard that its not good just to start it up and turn it off right away when its cold. The engine needs to get to operation temperature.

Maybe ill be careful and take it for a litte spin around the block (A)

Last edited by oystein1988; 02-14-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by halffast1g
Just for starters, are you using the choke when your trying to fire the bike?
If so, sounds more like a carb or petcock problem
Im trying both. And im also trying to turn on the choke while the starter turns

Old 02-14-2010, 01:53 PM

it might just be my bike but the cold isnt doing much at all to it it fires up first time even in the middle teens we have been having and runs fine when i run it around despite sub freezing temps and it has almost 38k on it

Old 02-14-2010, 07:02 PM

You might want to try a little SeaFoam in your tank. Sounds more like a starvation issue than anything else. Carburetted bikes tend to need more warm up time before they run well, but shouldn't be hard to start with the choke on (in my experience). If you want get into it, take off your tank and airbox and shoot some spray carb cleaner in the jets and let it sit for a while before trying to start.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfeagin
You might want to try a little SeaFoam in your tank. Sounds more like a starvation issue than anything else. Carburetted bikes tend to need more warm up time before they run well, but shouldn't be hard to start with the choke on (in my experience). If you want get into it, take off your tank and airbox and shoot some spray carb cleaner in the jets and let it sit for a while before trying to start.
Ive done that and the bike wouldn't start afterwards. Be really carefully on how much carb cleaner you use on these bikes since there super picky it seems like. I had to drain the gas a bunch of times before it would start up.

For starting in the teens my bike has no issues either. It doesn't like it I can tell since with choke on it sits a low rpms before it wants to rise all the way up.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Does your bike have a full exhaust on it? If so it may be too lean, They are a bitch to start when it is cold out. They will backfire alot

Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Krux
Ive done that and the bike wouldn't start afterwards. Be really carefully on how much carb cleaner you use on these bikes since there super picky it seems like. I had to drain the gas a bunch of times before it would start up.

For starting in the teens my bike has no issues either. It doesn't like it I can tell since with choke on it sits a low rpms before it wants to rise all the way up.
i dont know i put a whole bottle of octane booster and carb cleaner in just one tank of mine and well its running fine still and i have filled up since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard to start my F2