CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Front Break Reservoir

Old 02-19-2016, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Break Reservoir

Hi chaps

I noticed my brake fluid was kinda orange through the front reservoir and upon inspection it was full of thick gloopy gunk ?

I've bled the front brakes and cleaned out the reservoir but have no idea what would have caused this ?

Any ideas ?

Leigh

Last edited by CbrLeigh; 02-19-2016 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-19-2016, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by CbrLeigh
Hi chaps

I noticed my brake fluid was kinda orange through the front reservoir and upon inspection it was full of thick gloopy gunk ?

I've bled the front brakes and cleaned out the reservoir but have no idea what would have caused this ?

Any ideas ?

Leigh
To be honest I wouldnt be able to tell for sure I had similar problem with my F2 a while back. Did the same and problem solved. However it was sitting in the guys garage for 2 years unriden and asaumed it congealed due to the time sitting by unused. Maybe to do with it either being exposed to hot and cold or possibley being old and stale. By my best guess is not being used frequently.

I hope this may help answer the question

Old 02-19-2016, 03:02 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it attracts and absorbs water from it's surroundings so any condensation that slowly seeps into the system is being absorbed by the fluid, which causes it to gunk up and for example lowers it's boiling point as well as corrodes the system from within, which are exactly the reasons why brake fluid should be changed regularly, and failing to do so the main cause of corroding and seizing up any moving parts of the system.

I've heard a claim that leaving a fresh bottle of brake fluid uncapped outside overnight makes it absorb enough water from the dew to render it unusable.

Last edited by Mattson; 02-19-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:36 AM
Default Sticking caliper

Originally Posted by Mattson
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it attracts and absorbs water from it's surroundings so any condensation that slowly seeps into the system is being absorbed by the fluid, which causes it to gunk up and for example lowers it's boiling point as well as corrodes the system from within, which are exactly the reasons why brake fluid should be changed regularly, and failing to do so the main cause of corroding and seizing up any moving parts of the system.

I've heard a claim that leaving a fresh bottle of brake fluid uncapped outside overnight makes it absorb enough water from the dew to render it unusable.
So that would explain why if my bike of left for over a week it's stiff to manoeuvre? Front wheel stiff.... ?

If so have I to strip down the calipers ?

Leigh

Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if your reservoir was full of goo then chances are that there is either corrosion or sludge buildup in the calipers so I suppose it would be a good idea to take a peek inside. Calipers aren't that complicated to service, but in case you didn't know (as many doesn't) brake fluid spills will damage painted surfaces so if you got any on your rims etc wipe it off in a timely manner, doesn't hurt to have some gas or some rubbing alcohol on the rag to get it all out.