CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

flamethrower

Old 03-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flamethrower

as some of you know i was in the process of installing a custom exhaust i built with a custom flamethrower. it was a long and drawn out process, i had done it on old cars prior to attempting it on my bike so i was pretty confident. however i ran in to some dificulties. first, on cars, you can either use a totally separate distributer (the long way) or modify one of the existing boots to run a cable to a switch then to your pipe. usually on a car you can drill into your pipe with ease and without making it seen. that poses a problem on a bike with the exhaust fully exposed to the public (and law enforcement) eye. now i'm not moneybag so i wasn't going to drill into my yoshi so i had to custom build a pipe that i could easily put on and take off. that was step one. the easy one. then came my sparkplug issue. getting to the spark plugs on a car is cake. not on a bike however. quite a pain i must say. once i worked that out i had to run the wires throughout the bike without looking like crap. then i had to install a switch on my "dash". that took alot of time to keep it accessible without looking tacky or ruining the plastics. then atlast, with the spark plug tapped into the pipe and all the conections made, i was good to go. so i filled her up with high octane fuel and a race type octane booster. i started my bike up at around 8 am on a saturday. remember that this exhaust is just a strait pipe with no muffler or baffles of any kind. so she is already loud as sin. thinking ahead i mooved her to a place where there was nothing behind me for about 15ft so i wouldn't burn anything. i dropped it into nuetral, revved her way up, and flipped the switch. nothing. i checked the wires and one had come loose. ok start again. nuetral, rev filp boom! awesome. i got dressed and took her out. meanwhile some grumpy neighbor woke up, looked outside to see what the hell was going on just intime to see my second run with the sucessful flame. so as i pulled out of my complex and headed down the rode i hear sirens, then i see them. 1/4 mile away i get pulled over. the cop asks me what i was doing and why someone saw flames. i was gonna call it a bad backfire but he was already looking at my pipe. so i gave him the truth. he didn't believe me that it worked so easily so he followed me to a lot and i showed him. sure he thought it was cool, but the fact that i could torch the hell out of a tailgater made him uneasy. "save it for the track or the show" he says and offers me a fix it ticket. i told him it would take 1 minute to replace the exhaust and the ticket wasn't neccesary so i got of. good news, it worked. if you want to try this, i'll give you the details. its easy now that i worked out the bugs. some advice though, aim the pipe down a LITTLE LOWER THAN THE STOCK PIPE WOULD BECAUSE... i fried my license plate holder , some wires and plastics.

sorry this was so long. hope you enjoy

Old 03-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: flamethrower

Fast thinking on your part dude. I would've said "I'm the tailgater ... nobody else can keep up!"

Old 03-01-2006, 11:02 PM

Cool cop, even cooler mod. I'd kill for a video. It'd sure help for cbr of the month!

Old 03-01-2006, 11:36 PM

sounds sweet can you post a video link? I know a picture would be kind of hard to get....but lets see some pics and instructions for those peoplethat might want to do this...

Old 03-02-2006, 08:57 AM

i have to wait till the snow clears up so i can ride it to a lot where neihbors wont cry. i can post picks of the pipe though.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 AM

Looking forward to seeing the vid or pics.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:48 AM

Congrats on getting it done!! I can't wait to see either a pic or vid!!

Tylor

Old 09-07-2008, 04:25 PM

that sounds sick and actually is what i am looking to do. i have an erion racing pipe, and it actually has a spark plug hole before the canister. but someone said hads to run another coil to give the spark plug life, and throw a toggle switch on it and an activator on my clutch so when the cops aint aorund, throw the toggle switch on put it in neutral and rev and dump. so im gonna give the project a go and post some pics and maybe a video or something. definitely not a flamethorower tho, just a foot or so of quick flame. my buddies gsxr 750 has a stage three jet kit and when he revs the **** ut of it about a 2-3 foot flame ****s outta the pipe, looks nasty and even sicker at night.