CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

A few questions from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions from a newbie

Well I am new to this forum and new to sport bikes. I picked up a 1994 CBR 600 f2 from a guy last night. I got a DEAL and I need something to get back and forth to the hospital for work.

He was having problems getting it started.

I brought it home and check the battery. It was alittle low, I put it on the charger and it has held a 12.7v charge overnight, so I'm guessing it's not a battery problem.
I tried to start it and when I pressed the start button, it was sticking, the motor was turning over but wouldn't start. I hit the off/run switch to off and it was still trying to crank. Should that happen or should it kill all the voltage to the starter??

I thought that switch was sticking, so I flicked it back and forth a couple of time and the bike backfired.

Any suggestions on what I should do will be appreciated greatly!!

Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM

did it actually run? or just go boom.

probably bad gas, or dead battery. Choke actually on?

after hitting the starter what voltage is the battery at now? also add distilled water if necessary.

have you tried jump or bump starting it?

drain the carb bowls. replace the gas, add some sea foam. should help. may want it to run first depending.

on a side note 1 change oil, 2 bleed brakes, 3 air filter, 4 plugs.

if the kill switch is set to off the bike will not start. On my f2 and my last bike the starter would still turn over though.

Last edited by tucsondude; 05-01-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 AM

always check the obvious first, kill switch off, choke on, idle adjuster turned up. if all of those arent working my regulator rectifier went out, i heard they go out alot on f2's. its part of your charging system

Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the help. I started back on the bike Saturday morning and as I was trying to get it to start, it seemed as if it just wasn't getting gas to the carbs. I looked at the petcock and the vacuum line had some cracks near the end, I took it off and cut it back a little and reinstalled it. Then tried again and gas was spitting out of a small nipple beside the nipple for the vacuum hose. I removed the petcock and the diaphram edges looked cracked. I am guessing that it was no getting any pressure to get the fuel to the carbs. The petcock is gettign rebuilt as we speak and I will see how that works.

Has anyone had this problem??

Thanks again

Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pics might help - I think the petcock only has 2 spots to plug a hose into - the larger diameter is the fuel line to the carbs, and the smaller is for the vacuum line. fuel shouldn't exit the petcock through anywhere but the larger diameter opening (fuel line to the carbs).

See what's up after the petcock is rebuilt - take a pic of it as well to show us where you had fuel coming out.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:50 PM

I am hopefully getting it back this afternoon, I will post pics then.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 PM

A few questions from a newbie-cimg0009.jpg

it is the petcock to his right and it is the nipple on the middle section

Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Tmoore,
I had a similar problem with my bike from it sitting for a long time over the winter and not starting with back firing. The air solenoids can sometimes become clogged with dust or grime. When you are cranking the starter fuel is getting to the carb but air is not. A pubble of fuel forms in the combustion chamber and its set off by the ignition and you have your back fire. Try blowing out the solenoids and vac lines. Give your airbox and air intake system a good cleaning. Dont use compressed air on the solenoids you could damage them.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by tmoore
Attachment 15270

it is the petcock to his right and it is the nipple on the middle section
that looks like a drain hole for if the diaphragm in there is damaged and leaking. I would imagine that if the leak were bad enough you could be sucking fuel & air up your vacuum line too. Probably not much, but enough to seem like a vacuum leak possibly.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Also - if the rubber hoses on the vacuum line and petcock were dry & cracked, check all the other rubber on the bike - carb boots could be problematic, and it goes without saying if the chain is old, make sure the o-rings don't look brittle and cracked.

Quick Reply: A few questions from a newbie