CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F2's been stood for 18 months...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2's been stood for 18 months...

Eh up fellas. New to the F2, Hondas and motorbikes on the whole and ive bought a mates CBR-F2 off him dirt cheap. Thing is, its been sat in a garage for over a year. Batterys flat, front tires flat and its dusty as a dusty thing.

Ive changed the sparks, coolant, drained the tank and have a new battery and oil filter on order.

To that end, you guys seem to know your onions, what else would you recommend before turning it over and getting some hours out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers all

Old 10-15-2010, 05:11 PM

Welcome to the F2 club! I'm currently working on a bike that's been in storage for 3 years so I'm doing a lot of the same work as you

You would probably want clean/lube the chains and check to see if there's a seized link. Drain and clean out the fuel bowls/jets (although i found that mine were pretty clean, I think if your friend stored the bike with the fuel petcock set to off you would be fine too). Maybe new brake fluid as well as I know brake fluid loses its hydraulic fluid properties over time.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:37 PM

If you just inflated the front tire, i'd give it a very thorough inspect, or highly consider buying a new tire. Because if it sat flat like that for a year the tire is probably F#$%ed (cracking, dryrot) and that's some serious business.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:54 PM

I've had terrible luck with fuel sitting inthe bowls of F2's. They seem to gunk up real fast and it seems to always require compelte dissambly to get them clean. Curious SWITCHED said it would probably be okay with the petcock off. I always though the proble was fuel sitting the bowls when the moto was parked. I put preservative in to store for anything longer than amonth, and shut off fuel, pull ine, and drain bowls for anythinglonger than that.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 PM

Here's what my fuel bowls looked like after 3 years of sitting:

Bowls closeup (clean on left, dirty on right):
Name:  z9jmDl.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  39.5 KB

I'm not sure why it came out so clean, but sure glad I didn't have too much cleaning to do.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM

With the petcock set to off, the load on the floats and the needle valves would be lessened. The tips of the needle valves are hard rubber and they groove when the bike sits for long. I replaced all of mine.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:21 AM

well, since the petcock will not provide fuel to the fuel line unless there is a vacuum from the engine, you can leave it on or off or upside down or inside out and it wouldnt make a bit of difference unless it was broken. as for storage, float bowls drained and main fuel line disconnected, just in case the petcock does begin to leak.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 PM

Actually mine failed at the internal ball mechanism and would let gas drain out. I had to replace it. I modified mine years ago when the diaphragm failed. I ran it as a regular petcock for several years.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:39 PM

Hey Jeason, or anyone for that matter: since we're on the subject, once the engine provides vacuum to the valve the fuel flow from the tank to the carbs is all gravity right? (just for my own piece of mind )

Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jakeith0
Hey Jeason, or anyone for that matter: since we're on the subject, once the engine provides vacuum to the valve the fuel flow from the tank to the carbs is all gravity right? (just for my own piece of mind )
Yes, that should be the case for the F2s. I believe the F3s introduced a fuel pump.

Quick Reply: F2's been stood for 18 months...