CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F2 Resuscitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics

I've posted pics on your thread before, I have the '91 F2 w/ white frame and wheels. I'll post some more here for reference. Didn't venture into the garage last night, it was only 5 degrees out, instead I studied the electrical system on the couch. I figure if it stays this ugly out I will be an expert by spring! I plan on buying this book on motorcycle electrical repair to help, since the manuals are pretty vague:

http://www.tracyamartin.com/WebPages/MotorBook.html

This project is supposed to be as close to 100% DIY as possible, I don't care how long it takes, just want to learn.

Attached Thumbnails F2 Resuscitation-img_2557.jpg   F2 Resuscitation-img_2560.jpg   F2 Resuscitation-img_2579.jpg   F2 Resuscitation-img_2584.jpg   F2 Resuscitation-img_2590.jpg  

Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Oh yea, sorry it's hard to keep track on here. Ever think of replacing those passenger pegs with '94 style ones. much cleaner look.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Taking those and their bosses off...gonna be a 1 seater. My wife would never get on the back of a motorcycle w/ me, driving is bad enough!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 AM

it looks surprisingly good to be sitting around for so long. mine looked horrible when i first got it. i hope u really got in there good on the carbs to clean them. if not u will be like me and have to take them apart like 4 times to clean them. im still trying to figure out y not having a cluster on will keep the bike from running. maybe check to make sure that the ignition is connected.

ps...i know what u mean about the cold weather. its like 29 degrees here and i just got my motion pro carb tuner yesterday. i think im just gonna suck it up and tune it anyways. i cant stand having something to do to it and not be able to.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For problems with a bike not running or running properly when the cluster is off, I believe there is something you have to do with grounding a pink wire?

I can't remember exactly but I KNOW it's been asked on here before and there is an answer somewhere. Do some searching, it's around here somewhere. GL!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Thanks, I will look for a pink wire. And yeah it's pretty clean, mostly b/c it was sitting in a storage unit and did not move. It's supposed to be a blistering 30 degrees in Wisco this wknd, so I want to get out there and tinker a bit. I have reconciled with the fact that it might be awhile before it fires up..

Old 12-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Allright, I spent a little while testing switches, first I tested the kickstand switch for continuity, and there was none, so that seems to be broken. Then I went for the ignition switch, which tested out fine. Tested the kill switch and that works, but the start button does not. I pushed the button and touched the leads to the correct wires and got nothing, so I assume it's dead? This is my first time testing electrical circuits, but it seems straightforward enough. I did a search on throttle switches and one post said to open it up and check for damaged wiring, which I did, and did not see any. So I assume it's time for a new thottle/start/kill switch assembly, and a new kickstand switch.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:02 PM

The inside of the starter switch is funky. It might just need cleaning. I'd start with the kickstand switch and try cleaning the starter switch contacts.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 PM

I agree, the starter switch is a funky assembly. I had problem after problem with my 94. One morning i start the bike and have no headlight... The downside of this switch is it controls the headlight also and it's expensive! When you press the starter switch it is designed to remove power to the headlight. The purpose is to allow for maximum power to be directed to the starter motor. I resoldiered the connection probably four times and the joint kept weakening and breaking free. I finally said screw it and soldiered the wires together and now my headlight doesn't turn off when I start the bike. The top wires are for the headlights, i assume below it is for the actual starter relay. Use a lot of caution when you remove the starter switch assembly as the wires become stressed quite quickly. Oh, and dont remove the two screws in the dark and loose them. One is longer than the other.

I know if I were in your position i would jumper the starter and bypass all the switches. Safety interlock devices are for the weak... lol

You can find the "Starter stop switch assembly" on www.hondapartsnation.com for $88 p/n:3696606

Don't forget if your kickstand switch is bad you can start the bike as long as it's in neutral. You just wont be able to drive anywhere...

Side stand switch set is $38 p/n: 3696630 You can always bypass it for free and neglect your safety.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by f2first_love
Oh, and don't remove the two screws in the dark and loose them.
Wow...that's the best piece of advice I think I've ever seen on these forums!!! (been there done that though )

Quick Reply: F2 Resuscitation