CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F2 Resuscitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2 Resuscitation

OK so I am trying to get this bike going after a 10 year nap with my own limited, OK, nonexistant knowledge. I took all the flares and lights off, and the instrument cluster. Changed the oil, cleaned the carbs, new battery, cleaned the gas tank. Now...it won't turn over. Turn on, switch to run, hit start, and...nada. I reconnected all of the obvious wires without the cluster on, and still nothing. My question is, I plan to leave the cluster off and go fighter w/it, is there any tricks to wiring up the bike without the cluster? I am reading up and plan to start working my way through the non-starting issue, but if anyone has any bright ideas on where to start I'm all ears. Thanks.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 PM

make sure its not in gear. so you dont get anything when you try to turn it over? could be a blown fuse or bad wires somewhere.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:42 AM

That's what I am thinking, or maybe the side stand switch. Somehow current is not going to the ignition system at all. Could be really simple or a big PITA. Supposed to be 20 degrees tonite so it will have to wait...got all winter!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:29 AM

had this problem on my f2 when i pulled the cluster off. for the most part if you Disconnect any wire out of the cluster the bike won't start. I had to take it to my shop and have the wires wired back into themselves.(I'm horrible with wiring) All i know is you can't just pull off our clusters, theres some wiring that has to be rewired/grounded for it to start. Hope this helps, sorry not more help like i said i'm horrible with wiring.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 AM

^^ that and if u disconnected everything, make sure you reconnected your kill switch properly... If you didnt, then that could cause it to not start

Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM

[had this problem on my f2 when i pulled the cluster off. for the most part if you Disconnect any wire out of the cluster the bike won't start. I had to take it to my shop and have the wires wired back into themselves.(I'm horrible with wiring) All i know is you can't just pull off our clusters, theres some wiring that has to be rewired/grounded for it to start. Hope this helps, sorry not more help like i said i'm horrible with wiring.[/quote]

Damn, that doesn't sound good! I put the cluster back on, shouldn't that take care of it? Or is it still F'd up? When they wired it, did they just bypass the cluster since you weren't going to use it? I guess rewiring couldn't hurt since I want to get rid of it anyway. Is there anyway you could find out which wires had to redone so I have an idea?

Old 12-10-2009, 01:06 PM

I will check the kill switch tonite. I borrowed a volt meter from work also so I will hopefully do some testing tomite...if it's not too cold!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by theCannibal
[had this problem on my f2 when i pulled the cluster off. for the most part if you Disconnect any wire out of the cluster the bike won't start. I had to take it to my shop and have the wires wired back into themselves.(I'm horrible with wiring) All i know is you can't just pull off our clusters, theres some wiring that has to be rewired/grounded for it to start. Hope this helps, sorry not more help like i said i'm horrible with wiring.
Damn, that doesn't sound good! I put the cluster back on, shouldn't that take care of it? Or is it still F'd up? When they wired it, did they just bypass the cluster since you weren't going to use it? I guess rewiring couldn't hurt since I want to get rid of it anyway. Is there anyway you could find out which wires had to redone so I have an idea?[/quote]

No, your still good. i hooked everything back up and rode to the shop. Pulled the cluster off again and had them rewire it. i guess they bypassed it, but to be honest i'm not sure. ( bad with wiring remember)

Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM

Word. I will give it a go tonite...luckily we have 4 months of winter before the bike needs to move!

Old 12-10-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by theCannibal
Word. I will give it a go tonite...luckily we have 4 months of winter before the bike needs to move!
not luckily...I want some nice 70 degree weather to go ride the sh*t out of my bike NOW

Oh and get some pics up

Quick Reply: F2 Resuscitation