CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F1 or F2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue ones and red ones and a pink one (we don't talk about it) and...

I've had lots of sport motorcycles. In my opinion, my 600F2 is the most dangerous morotrcycle I own. The combinaition of lightweight, torque and very narrow power bands mean you really need to respect this bike and always stay right on top of it. It flips too easy if you're not 100% engaged.

I prefer the larger, longer sport bikes like the 929 or the GSXR 750.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:08 AM
Old Skool Welcomer

I really don't want to get into engine rebuilds at this stage. Admittedly I would learn a lot but I've never even done an oil change or replaced sparking plugs before. I'd like something that's sound but maybe requires a thorough service. That I could do myself over winter without pressure. I'd really like to be able to service my own bike but I know when I'm out of my depth.
Am I going for the right bike if it's as dangerous as you say? I really didn't want to go bigger than a 600. Plus there's cost considerations too like cheaper insurance on the 600.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G-man
I've had lots of sport motorcycles. In my opinion, my 600F2 is the most dangerous morotrcycle I own. The combinaition of lightweight, torque and very narrow power bands mean you really need to respect this bike and always stay right on top of it. It flips too easy if you're not 100% engaged.

Whatever you do dont listen to this guy because he has no idea what he is saying. The 929, 750, and the F2 are almost the same when it comes to weight, and length. The only difference is the 929 and 750 have more power.

Trust me when i say the F2 will be fine for you. I have ridden dirtbikes since i was a kid and my first street bike was a F2. I loved that bike. Just take it easy till you get the hang of things and it will become much more fun. You cannot go wrong with getting a F2 i promise.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenna
I really don't want to get into engine rebuilds at this stage. Admittedly I would learn a lot but I've never even done an oil change or replaced sparking plugs before. I'd like something that's sound but maybe requires a thorough service. That I could do myself over winter without pressure. I'd really like to be able to service my own bike but I know when I'm out of my depth.
Am I going for the right bike if it's as dangerous as you say? I really didn't want to go bigger than a 600. Plus there's cost considerations too like cheaper insurance on the 600.
And if you get a bike that needs some work the people on this forum are amazing when it comes to helping you out so dont be afraid. You will be amazed at how much you will learn by messing with your bike. I followed Dissevered's walkthrough on cleaning and syncing my carbs and it was easy and my bike worked great after.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Old Skool Welcomer

Thanks! That's a huge relief as it got me wondering. Everything I read about the F2 says it's user friendly so was surprised to read it might be dangerous for a novice. If I can find something that just needs a good service or tune up I'll be happier. I feel confident this forum can help me whatever is wrong.

Thanks again.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM

hiya

im new to bikes i passed my test in august & an f2 was and is my first bike, i love it, yes it is fast but you dont have to ride it like a loon if you dont feel like it ( admitidly i cant help it sometimes)

but i am finding it a lovely bike to handle and ride, ill be deffinatly sticking with the 600 f for many years to come i think

Old 10-19-2010, 05:16 PM

I am teaching my son to ride on my f2. It is a great combination of handling and controllable power. I do think that my dirt riding was an important part of my riding education that I would like him to have. Falling down at slower speeds in the dirt with no cars taught me that falling down sucks and hurts. On the street with cars, it can be fatal. Respect that and you will have a great time. It is all about throttle control.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G-man

You're kidding us right? She doesn't care what YOU prefer, it's about her, not you. All bike are dangerous if you treat it dangerously. But your reasoning for steering someone away from one is absurd. She needs to be on a lighter bike with lower horsepower than a 750 or 929. And the 600 flips too easily if not 100% engaged? WTF are you talking about?? Your advice is so terrible that I'm gonna take the liberty of apologizing for you.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:27 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

trust me..you will find one...take your time..

Old 10-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Thanks to iJapanesey for voicing what most of us were thinking.

Originally Posted by iJapanesey
You're kidding us right? She doesn't care what YOU prefer, it's about her, not you. All bike are dangerous if you treat it dangerously. But your reasoning for steering someone away from one is absurd. She needs to be on a lighter bike with lower horsepower than a 750 or 929. And the 600 flips too easily if not 100% engaged? WTF are you talking about?? Your advice is so terrible that I'm gonna take the liberty of apologizing for you.