CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Engine woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine woes

Quick question. So my f2 motor i got and it does not seem to want to stay on unless i hold the throttle open. Also, it cuts off if i give the throttle too much gas, Any suggestion would be greatly appreacted.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM

Have you adjusted the idle speed?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:14 AM

Give us more details. How and when did the problem start? Was it progressive, or did you just drag it out of the barn after sitting all winter?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:49 PM

im going to try adjust the idle screw. This is the history of the Bike. I got it in September and when i bought it the person said it just stopped running, after overhauling it from then (body and such) i am now just getting to the motor. I cleaned the carbs and sprayed some starter fluid into the bike and it turn on very easy. lots of white smoke at first then the smoke started to die down. i dont think anything of the smoke (could be wrong) but id say the bike was sitting for at least 11 months based on the condition of when i got it and the time frame i have had it.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:18 PM

Its still the carbs...plain and simple.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by kpnupe
.... I cleaned the carbs and sprayed some starter fluid .
How did you clean the carbs? If they were not disassembled and thoroughly cleaned inside, specifically the jets, and especially the pilot jets, it IS still the carbs.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM

yea i took them apart and cleaned all the parts inside, im thinking maybe there not synced or something. I hate to bring it too a shop to find out its something simple thats wrong with it.

also white smoke isnt bad is it? (im a body man not a mechanic i only know basic things)

Old 02-23-2009, 05:27 PM

It is something simple, just clean the carbs.... take them off the bike and remove the jets, 2 will come off and 1 will not, the one that remains on the carbs is most likely the problem. You should be able to get a bread tie about an inch or so in that one....

Old 02-24-2009, 01:27 AM

You might try and use compressed air to help remove the dirt from your jets, also use some high grade carb & throttle body cleaner. My bike started acting up, took the carbs apart and cleaned them, fixxed my problem but while i was doing it i was looking for a clogged jet but they all looked clean to me. It only takes a small piece of whatever to screw everything up! Not to sure about the smoke sounds kinda strange, did it smell like oil or burnt antifreeze? I would start with the small and cheap stuff first.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 PM

I'm not an expert but I just had an issue with my F2 starting and like the guys said it's probably the carbs but also look at your plugs is one fouled, are they gapped correctly, are they old in need of replacement. When you throttle the bike and it dies does it smell of gas or back fire? could be a blocked carb you give it gas and sucks in too much air and leans out the mixture. Before adjusting the carbs do yourself a favour and get them 100% clean. Check around with local shops some offer ultrasonic cleaning if you have questions about the quality you might get by performing the cleaning youself. Check the vacuum side of the carb make sure your diaphragm piston isn't damaged and seated correctly. Again no expert but I understand how frustrating it is when the bike won't start.

Quick Reply: Engine woes