CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Do I have a regulator/rectifier or stator prob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have a regulator/rectifier or stator prob?

hey everyone, here's the problem with my bike-

my basic problem is that my bike is not charging correctly. what's strange is that it happens off and on- one day i can ride it, shut it down and it starts back up just fine. other times i ride it, shut it down and there's no juice to even kick the starter.

so a few months back i replaced the battery thinking this was the problem, but the problem persisted. i started to notice that when i idle, the gauge lights will kinda "flicker" with the engine and that is the times that it won't start back up. other times the gauges are bright and normal and it almost guarantees to start up again.

this is my dilemma and it's become a huge nuissance because i can't ride anywhere without having to worry about push starting my bike at completely random times. any help from anyone?

also- the bike has begun to just shut off sometimes when i get to a stoplight or something of the such.

thanks for your help everyone.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Default RE: Do I have a regulator/rectifier or stator prob?

Voltage rectifier

Old 09-26-2006, 05:59 PM

i am having the same exact problem. It started today! and it is pissing me off! Are u sure it is the voltage rectifer? mine is doing the same thing. It's not the stator?

Old 09-26-2006, 07:00 PM

I had the same situation. When I charged my bike overnight, it was usually good for starting the bike two or three times. After that I had to charge the battery. When the battery got really low, the bike stalled. I checked the voltage on the battery as I revved and it never got up to 13. I checked to make sure that was the problem by testing the wiring harness, the regulator and the stator. Do this by checking current in the plug that the rectifier is attached to. After changing the rectifier (a 2 minute job FOR ANYONE), the bike's never done it again. AND a rectifier can be bought for ~$60 on ebay

Old 09-26-2006, 10:25 PM

yeah thats wierd. I just went out and tested my bike and today when i reved it was not getting above like 12.6 but after i charged the batt and then drove it home and let it sit for about 3 hrs i started it and reved it and it was reaching like 13.5-14 and maybe a little higher. so it is looking like everything is fine. I checked the wireing harness and everything checked out ok
the only thing i can think of would be the stator or maybe just a dying batt

Old 09-27-2006, 04:59 PM

UPDATE-

So went to unplug my rectifier and i was having one hell of a time getting the plug out. After some brut force i got it to come out, and little to my surprise the center yellow wire had melted the plastic inside the rectifier, so when i finally got it to unplug the melted plastic pieces fiinallly broke apart. i just ordered a new rectifier and wiring harness (it looked like it also had some damage on the actual unit also), so hopefully that will fix my problem. I'll let everyone know. thanks for your help.

Drew

Old 09-29-2006, 10:31 PM

hey i have had the same problem for the past month or so but since the season is kinda coming to an end i was'nt gonna fix it till march/april

but i got a question was you regulator/rectifier so hot that you could'nt touch it because mine gets really hot fast
i was burning my hand touching it
i want to replace it but i am not sure if it is that or the stator and i can't return either of them if i buy the wrong one
any help would be great