CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

DIY Fender Elim --> Cheap as heck and slick looking too!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Fender Elim --> Cheap as heck and slick looking too!

Okay everyone, I posted up about my blinkers blinking fast since I did my own custom fender elim and went to LED blinkers. Everyone started asking how I did it. It's a freeking breeze. I unfortunately didn't document the process, so what I'll do is post pics of how it looks, and then post a description of how you do it.

If anyone is in the Portland Oregon region, I will do the fender Elim with/for you and document it all so this thread is better!

PICTURES:

Yes I should have cleaned my bike first. Oh well! That's the rearmost look of how the fender elim looks.

This is a slightly more "side view" of how it looks. I feel it's pretty clean all things considered!

The process for doing your own fender Elim (my method):

Tools/parts you will need:
  • Replacement aftermarket blinkers. Any variety what so ever will work.
  • Philips head screwdriver to remove stock lights
  • Ratchet and assorted metric size sockets
  • A dremel with grinder/cutting wheel is highly advised, although a hack saw is feasible.
  • A knife of some variety for tracing your lines is essential. Box cuter works fine, as does a razor blade.
  • Drill with assorted drill bits.
  • Wire crimper, and wire attachers, whatever they are called.
Things you may want:
  • A file is nice to help smoothen out the plastic when you're done. You can do this with the dremel, but a file does help.
  • An aftermarket LED plate light is nice to have as well, although it may not light up your plate to most police officers liking.
  • A level to ensure all your lines are correct.
The process I followed to get my own fender Elim:
  1. Cut the wires from the plate light and turn signals and remove the stock turn signals. Remove the tail side plastics, and pull the wires up and by the brake light. Removal of the brake light is NOT nescessary.
  2. Get the license plate off, and go pretty much get down to the stock fender.
  3. Remove the plate light from the liscence plate holder, strip that down to the bare basics.
  4. Next up, cut off all of the license plate holder except for the part that actually holds the plate and mounts to the original fender. Do this using the dremel, and smoothen it out using the file or dremel.
  5. Next figure out how high up you can/want to mount the license plate on the fender. Visually do this by placing the modified plate mount onto the fender, visually ligning it up.
  6. Trace the bottom of the plate fender all the way over on both sides. Keep the line flat all the way around. Use a ruler if nescessary. Use a level to verify it is flat and correct if you want.
  7. Drill the holes and mount the plate up. Yes we've yet to cut any plastic off the fender itself, the process continues!
  8. re-mount the tail plastics.
  9. Establish a location to mount your blinkers as close to the plate as possible. Drill holes for either their stock to be mounted, or for the wires to pass through. D
  10. Trace a line along the tail plastics and the fender, and then "swoop" downwards about 3/4 of the way to the blinker to accomodate the blinker. Swoop as far downward as nescessary depending on the blinker. For round stock blinkers, a 1/3" around the blinker is at least desired.
  11. You should have done the above for both sides. You've now got two lines to cut. remove the blinkers (which you shouldn't have wired up, I didn't say do that!) and remove the plate and plate holder.
  12. Remove the tail plastics so as you don't accidentally ding them in the next step.
  13. Cut your lines. Do the first long one accross, then do the one that swoops up. Viola, I'm sure you'll notice you have you eliminated a significant chunk of your fender!
  14. Clean up everything using the dremel and/or file.
  15. Lastly, drill a hole in the top of the fender (right above the wheel) on each side near where the blinker wires come out. The purpose of this is to accomodate the wires, as the original "columns" will no longer be suitable.
  16. Mount the blinkers, run their wires up through the aforementioned holes. Use crimper to attach to original stock turn signal wires. Their lengths and position should make it obvious what is for what.
  17. Mount the plate up, you're done except for the plate light!
As far as the PLATE light is concerned, I don't have amazing advice here yet.. If you kept the stock parts you can find a way to rig it up. That's all on you though as I didn't do this. I bought an LED plate light, drilled a hole for the wires, and let it's own glue attach itself to the plastic. I wired it in, and viola, plate light. The only problem is it doesn't perfectly light up my plate... which could be a problem but I've yet to get in trouble. More on that to come!

There you go! Enjoy. I'll gladly update this post with any information anyone has to contribute. I recognize my modification is not the end all be all of DIY fender Elims. I'm betting there is some one with smarter ideas than my own to contribute to this thread!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Banned

Oh yeah, and if it's considered sticky worthy, it would be much appreciated I'd feel cool about myself and what not

Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 PM

Sorry cola, but I would vote for NOT sticky... there are too many as it is.

It looks good though.

I did a similar fender elimination but I removed the whole rear black plate holder/signal holding box and fabricated little aluminum brackets to hold it all together... then saved the original stuff so that when the cops bust me for signals being too small or close together I can slap on the old setup and get the bike inspected with the stock (legal) fender.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

Awww but a lot of them are crap At least mine is functional!

Anyways, the good news about this mod is that with the short stock blinkers like mine, they are over 9" apart, which meets most state laws. Surface area of the blinkers is another thing, however I beleeive these to be of significant surface area and brightness.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should take a pic with the plate removed and maybe one from behind the whole thing showing the plate bracket mounting blinkers ect. from the backside. getting ready to do the same mod after my paint is finished and that would help out alot. thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Thumbs up

I would also appriciate this being made into a sticky! I was looking for a write up on this site about a fender eliminator a week or so ago and couldnt find what i wanted. So just my $0.02 ..thanks