CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Crashed my CBR about 2 hours ago. Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed my CBR about 2 hours ago. Need advice!

OK...Firstly, I've escaped with ony some gravel rash where my armour rode up...so all good.

However - From a quick look I've killed the following -

Left hand engine casing.
Top fairing
Lower left fairing
Rear left fairing

And the subject of why I need help?

The rear subframe. It's bent. Quite a bit bent. ;-)

So.........What I need to know - What rear sub frames will fit the F2? I'm amenable to changing it to change the back end a bit but need the benefit of your advice...

Will the F3 subframe fit? F4 or F4i? I *think* the 99-01 CBR subframe will fit, is that right? And then I could do the rear f4 conversion? I really, really, don't want to weld or mess about. The CBR is my only transport and I need to get something sorted quick...

Or should I just save up and buy something newer? :-/

Sorry if this post is rambling. I'm high as a kite on adrenalin still and sort of pleased to have walked away from a spill (Bike slid out from under me after hitting a patch of Diesel on a roundabout) - As I fell off I was a. Making sure I didn't go under the bike, and b. Sort of worried I would get hit by a car. The nice motorist didn't hit me, simply drove around my me and the bike some 20 feet or so away from me like I was just an obstacle. I love motorists. Not. :-)

Thanks
Pat

Old 12-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear your okay. Ive never delt with the subframe or anypart of a frame so im not good with advice on your subject. Sorry about your loss.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Thank you for the good wishes. I appreciate it. :-)

I'm gutted - I loved the bike. Still do, which is why I'm considering the rebuild.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM

no matter which subframe u choose u will have to do some cutting and welding. the f2 has a solid frame unlike the newer ones with a bolt on subframe. might as well go for the f4i with the split seat if your gonna do it. sorry to hear about the spill, but at least your ok.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First things first. Where and how badly is it bent? (pics would help) Is it just isolated to the subframe? In other words, are you sure the rest of your frame is ok.

If so, buying a used subframe and having yours cut off and the new one welded on is an option. As far as an F3 swap... I think it'll mate up just fine, but keep in mind you'll have to get other extras like tail plastics and taillight/mounts to finish the conversion. Can't say about the rest of the bikes you listed though the tail swap is obviously more of a process than just restoring your F2 tail. May be a cool opportunity to go newer on your tail though. Maybe a blessing in disguise? Just tryin to give you a little upside dude...

Glad you're ok and good luck putting her back together if you decide to!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
First things first. Where and how badly is it bent? (pics would help) Is it just isolated to the subframe? In other words, are you sure the rest of your frame is ok.

If so, buying a used subframe and having yours cut off and the new one welded on is an option. As far as an F3 swap... I think it'll mate up just fine, but keep in mind you'll have to get other extras like tail plastics and taillight/mounts to finish the conversion. Can't say about the rest of the bikes you listed though the tail swap is obviously more of a process than just restoring your F2 tail. May be a cool opportunity to go newer on your tail though. Maybe a blessing in disguise? Just tryin to give you a little upside dude...

Glad you're ok and good luck putting her back together if you decide to!
Hiya, from what I've seen (It's dark and freezing in Scotland so I've only been able to look with the aid of street lights)... it looks to be about an inch higher on the left hand side at the end next to the tail light. The left hand passenger peg looks much closer to the wheel than the right hand one. I'll get pictures during daylight tomorrow, hopefully that's make the picture clearer.

What's unfortunate is that the subframe has taken the brunt of the crash - I fitted a Renntec luggage rack and it's this that has hit ground first - it stands proud of the sides of the bike, so instead of a destroyed fairing, it's only cracked but the subframe has been thrashed.

With that in mind, I *think* the rest of the frame is ok. It was a slide rather than a head on crash so I don't think the frame has suffered any damage.

If I have to weld, I guess I'm going to go for a newer subframe - I've already done the f3 engine conversion, so as long as the sums stack up, it's probably the way to go. I like the way the f4's with the stapped seat look.

Thanks again for the good wishes. Nice comments beat the hell out of motorists who drive round you without checking your OK. :-)

And like you say, I'm trying to look at it as an opportunity - although I was wearing all new stuff that I've trashed too (including a £250 Hein Gericke goretex jacket)...which is harder to look on the brightside of! ;-) Still, I haven't rebroken the arm I mashed 9 weeks ago at work so again, I guess that all in, I'm pretty lucky.

thanks for the help and advice.
p

Old 12-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse657
no matter which subframe u choose u will have to do some cutting and welding. the f2 has a solid frame unlike the newer ones with a bolt on subframe. might as well go for the f4i with the split seat if your gonna do it. sorry to hear about the spill, but at least your ok.
Thank you! That is a very important bit of info. Now I know that, I can choose a little more liberally. :-) (and fantasize about learning to weld double quick!) :-)

p

Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 PM

I bent my subframe in a lowside a few months back....take off all of your fairings and (get ready for this) stand/jump on the subframe and it will bend back. If its beyond that, I have an F2 subframe I'll let go.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM

the only problem with doing that is risking compromising the integrety of the frame. when u bend it back it could cause stress fractures in the frame and could possibly cause it to break going down the road. all though if it is just a slight bend it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to try.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse657
the only problem with doing that is risking compromising the integrety of the frame. when u bend it back it could cause stress fractures in the frame and could possibly cause it to break going down the road. all though if it is just a slight bend it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to try.
I had a further look today and got a few pics, which I'll post, even though they're not super clear (I'll do that tomorrow)...

The subframe looks to be bent about an inch up on the left hand side (if that makes sense).

My only real worry is that I don't know the default position of the subframe...ie...is the left hand side high and the right low, or is the righthand side the only side with any bending.

And what you say about the subframe cracking while I'm riding doesn't make me feel good about riding the bike afterward! :-) I'll have a proper look and decide the best from there.

My forks definately are twisted...Do you think that loosening the axle and the triple tree bolts will allow the forks to get back into shape? (ie that the crash has just moved the fork stanchions in the triple tree)? I ride downhill mountainbikes, and this is something that happens with Boxxer forks regularly after a big off - the forks look twisted, but "resetting" them in the triple tree sorts them right out.

...or am I looking at new forks too? :-( (fingers crossed not!)

Thanks again for all the help.

Pat

Quick Reply: Crashed my CBR about 2 hours ago. Need advice!