CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Clutch plate replacement help

Old 11-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch plate replacement help

I am currently installing new plates in my clutch but i have run into a problem. I cannot get the center nut off. I have removed the plate with the 4 bolts that holds tension on the springs but i cannot get the nut off to remove the finalcover to get the the plates. anyone know how to get this off..... It's supposed to be nice tomarrow and i would like to ride but if i can't get this fixed i won't be able to.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Clutch plate replacement help

I think you need a special tool to hold the clutch basket kind of like a flywheel puller?

Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Sweet........ So does anyone know the name of this tool and if i can find one for cheap?

Old 11-17-2007, 05:51 PM

Is this the tool i need? Clutch tool

Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 PM

Have you got a servicemanual?

Old 11-17-2007, 06:36 PM

i have experience with that you just need a wrench is nothing especial , you need to tun that nut to the contrary clock wise direction i mean from 12 o clock to 11 o clock in other words to the left ok, then you need to turn very hard until the seal of the nut brokes like a tap of a plastic wather bottle that nut is not reusuable you need to buy a new one. once you put the whole stuf together, you set the nutCHECKTORQUE IN MANUAL then with hamer and a cros screw diver and a or anothe tool with apeak end NOT SHARP you hit the nut edge to make the stake this is kind of a lock to avoid the nut moove be careful cause you only have 1 chance to set the nut otherwise you will need to buy another nut and make the hole job again . NOTE:no mistakes there cause the hole engine power is supported in clutchevery time youshift gearsThe only specal tool you need is to hold the cluth plate to avoid to broke iti dont know where hou can buy it maybe in autozone,i order to make that toolat the iron worker warehose use yourimagination to make that tool

Old 11-17-2007, 08:16 PM

Yes i have a clymer manual but it doesn't really tell me much.... that i can understand. Like WTF does Unstake mean. I can't even find it in a dictionary.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:09 AM

Unstaking means to basically unlock the nut... IE taking a punch and hammer and nocking on the shaft that the nut threads onto, then try removing.

I also found something that says you need to grind or drill off the metal where it was struck with a punch, removing the deformed metal.

something like that, that's all I found when researching "unstake".

good luck lol!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Well i figured out what i need to do but it looks like someone has replaced it before me and "staked" it in the wrong place. Is there an easy way to get the nut off or should i just take it to a dealer and get raped by their service center?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 AM

Jalate, can you translate that just a little better? We aren't texting friends here on cell phones, so you can use a few more words in your description.

TripsD Would you be able to post a decent size picture of what you are talking about? I know that some bolts are made to be torqued to a certain spec, but because of rotational force, they often get torqued way past OE specs. (the front sprocket nut comes to mind) On mine I had to use my air impact gun to break loose, when I should have only needed my 1/2" drive ratchet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch plate replacement help