CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Charging System Question

Old 07-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System Question

Great info on the F2 Forum. I have learned quite a bit but still have a question about my 92' F2. My battery has been drained quite a few times and I have replaced it with a new one twice in the past year. I've learned the voltage regulator is working since the headlight and other lights are still working, correct? Also, I have learned the stator charges the battery over 3000rpm's, correct? My meter shows the battery had an initial charge of 13.13V when I installed it and I followed the charging instructions to the word. After the first start it went down to about 12.49 V. When I reved the engine to about 4000rpm's, the voltage went up to about 12.76 then back down to about 12.52 at idle. Is this indicative of a stator failure or regulator failure? Do they either work or not work? Or is there some middle ground, as well, which still would mean I would have to replace one or the other? I do have the manual and the testing procedures which I will do but thought I would solicit some hands on advice first.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Default RE: Charging System Question

Well, the good news is that your problem sounds just like the one I had. While there is a chance that it cpould be your wiring harness, it is most likely the voltage regulator. Just because your lights work, doesn't mean it's not the regulator. My bike had the lights on and it rode, but once enough juice was sucked out of the battery, the bike would start sputtering and die. I had to cjarge the battery everytime, and aftyer a few hours it would be drained. If you pull out the plug attached to the regulator and test all five pins, it should tell you what the problem is. It is probaly tour regulator. Good news is taht you can get one for about 50-60 bucks and it takes 2 minutes to change it.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:10 PM

I had funky charging issues for months before I bit the bullet and took it to a certified Honda mechanic.

They have special tools to test every piece of the stator and rectifier...and they told me that some parts of the stator were charging, others were not...and he gave me the voltages too.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If those are your voltages that you are reading, its defintily NOT your regulator that is the problem, rather your stator. If your regulator is an issue, you will be reading HIGH voltages. Standard battery voltage = 12.5 to 13v DC Standard Charging voltage = 13.8 to 14.7v DC @ 3000RPM and up. Bad regulator = >14v (upwards of 15-20v) @ 3000RPM and up. Bad Stator = <13v DC @ 3000 RPM and up. hopefully that makes sense.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:04 AM

I wish I could fix my own bike [&o]

Old 07-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MT Wallet

I wish I could fix my own bike [&o]
Me too haha. I just go at it with a copy of the service manual and my laptop on google.com Usually I can figure out MOST stuff on my own, and i find it to have been a HUGE learning experience so far. I have learned a ton about bikes from taking mine all apart and cleaning it up. Fixing a few broken things here and there.

Learn to change/clean your own air filter, change your own oil.. etc. simple stuff and from there just keep learning (buy a copy of the service manual, the internet one is a pain in the *****.. plus a real paper one can be used as a great bathroom reader hehehe)

The following users liked this post:
LarryB (04-25-2020)
Old 07-04-2006, 11:18 AM

That's not true. When my voltage regulator was crapping out, even when I revved it it only went to high 12's low 13's. nevere saw my voltage higer than 12.7something after the bike was running. again after I replaced the regulator, the bike has had no issues. Again, it is fairly easy to test if it is the regukator.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:54 PM

thanks Syphen

I can change my oil! That's a start

Next when I have time, the sparkplugs and air filter.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:11 AM

OUTPUT TEST
connect multi meter set to 0-20 volts across battery
Start engine allow to idle
slowly increase RPM to 5000
Volts should read 13v - 15.5v anything higher is definatly a rectifier/ regulator fault

LEAKAGE TEST
switch Ignition off
Disconnect negative wire from battery -
Connect multimeter set to mA (milli Amps) Between battery Neg - terminal & cable
the reading should not exceed 1.2mA DO NOT START THE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!
if the reading is below 1.2mA leakage rate is satisfactory.
Anything higher it's likely there's a short circuit in the wiring somewhere[:@]

when i get some more time i'll post the check for the
ALTERNATOR STATOR COILS
and
REGULATOR / RECTIFIER UNIT

Old 07-07-2006, 09:28 PM

having same problem with battery that keeps dying causing the bike to shut down, so put new battery in and caused same problem..

anyone know where i can get a stator or regulator for cheap along with the wire harness for replacement? is the wire harness necessary for replacement if the stator or regulator is replaced?

thanx in advanced!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Charging System Question