CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Changing Frames Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swingarm, rear wheel/tire, brake, chain assembly should all come out in one unit and bolt back in as one unit. (disconnect the rear brake reservoir from the pattery box, and unbolt the right rearset first.)

Once the motor is out of the frame, you could essentially take the top triple off, unscrew the top head bearingsraces, and lower the whole front end out of the bike as one unit.

Leaving as many assemblies as you can in one piece helps.

While the motor is out - would be a good time to check the valve clearances, run through the carbs, and change spark plugs to fresh ones just for the hell of it. Would save a huge headache down the road.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 05-13-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so I got my frame today and I looked it over and seen a few things that were missing and somethings that were bent.
First off, the little sticker with the Vin number and type of motorcycle is missing(example picture of what I mean below). There is a Vin number on the actual frame near where the handle bars go. Do I need to have this sticker or will the Vin number on the frame work?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaxjosh/5720359172/
Next the back end part where the tail light bracket mounts to is bent. It looks like it could be bent back but I'm not very certain. Is it possible to bend back? Heres a picture of what it looks like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaxjosh/5720366486/
Lastly there a little mount welded to my current frame where one of the tail fairing "notches" goes into that's missing. There's two other points on the bike where the tail fairing mounts to, this one is kind of in the middle of those so I don't know how important it is to really have. Here's a picture of the thing I'm talking about that's missing on my new frame (the picture is from my current frame, the weld with the black cushion thing in it).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaxjosh/5719805003/
If anyone can let me know asap so I can figure out whether or not to proceed with tearing everything down or not or work on sending this back and getting a refund, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:29 PM

The sticker should be no issue. Those VINs are imprinted for a reason. Unless it is cut out or welded over or whatever, you should be fine.

If you are looking to run fairings on this frame, I would definitely look into getting your money back. I am sure you could mount your rear fairings without that middle mounting hole. But that, in combination with the bent bracket in the rear seems screwy. Getting that middle fairing behind the seat and the two side fairings to line up will be a pain. I don't know how good you are with metal, but I would think you could probably bend it a little in your favor. I don't have any experience with that though, so i'm not sure. I don't know what you payed for the frame, but I would double check everything is straight. It looks like it had a rough last life.

Good luck.

Why are you swapping frames? Is yours badly bent?

Last edited by antatious; 05-14-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM

I'm swapping frames because I got screwed over with the title on the current bike I got and I can't get it in my name. So I bought a new frame with a title so that I can title it into my name. It's a sucky deal but in my state it was one of my only options.

I think that I can be able get them aligned.
Would it be just like a lot of trial and error bending and re ending the fairings?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Lots of people bend the sub-frame back after a light drop/crash. big hammer and a 2x4 to cushion the blow or a big pry bar or whatever should do the trick.

I would think about cutting the fairing mount (rubber holder thing) off your current frame and having it welded onto the new one (should be dead easy and cost next to nothing).

Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 PM

Okay I'll talk to this welder I know and see how much he would charge. I had pretty good luck bending it back into place there were a few other things bent as well, one of the little arms that bolts for the radiator was also bend and some other similar things but I got them straightened out. Also some good news, my title for the frame came in today.
I'll post some pictures later.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 AM

Just thought I would update this thread.

I've had a very successful day today. Dropped the engine out of the old frame, mounted it to the new frame, mounted the forks, swing arm, tires, connected the entire wiring harness, shock, etc.

Still waiting to get plugs, air filter, oil and oil filter, coolant, and to sync my carbs.

Now the bad. Its just like a few of you said, I would have a lot of trouble getting that fairing behind the seat and the two tail fairing to seat properly. I didnt try hard tonight but I already know its going to take a whole lot of trial and error. hopefully I can get it straightened out though. Heres some pictures though. Thanks guys for all your help and tips.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaxjosh/5732806470/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaxjosh/5732807600/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaxjosh/5732264631/
And the nice progress of the day.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaxjosh/5732263211/

Old 05-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work bro! Like the Red & black treatment.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 05-18-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:42 AM

Well no luck after getting everything together. It started up and ran for about 10 seconds then it died down and I couldn't get it started again. I kept smelling fuel so I think I flooded it. I think maybe the choke isn't working right, theres something wrong with the carbs, or something over my head. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow but if I have no luck, I'm going to just take it to someone. I've done all I can and I think I need to let a pro fix it now.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Don't give up now, you are almost there!!
What did it sound like when it ran for 10seconds?
if you leave it for a couple hours and try starting again what happens?
battery is fully charged I assume... have you pulled a spark plug after it dies?

Quick Reply: Changing Frames Tips