CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

chain guard & tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain guard & tires

guys-

first off,i need a chain guard for agood price. any ideas where to get one from?i checked ebay and found one for $60 + shipping- is that a good deal? could i do better?

lastly, i also need new tires; front and rear - what brands should i be looking for? and where should i be looking for the best prices??

sorry if my noob-iness is driving some of you crazy, lol, but i really do appreciate it..

Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Default RE: chain guard & tires

one more thing to add: i read that some people actually have been taking their chain guards off because of the looks. now, my bike currently does not have a chain guard and i really don't mind whether it has one or not BUT will it still pass inspection (Pennsylvania)?? anybody have any experience with this???

Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM

I dont know about the chain gaurd...but as far as tires, michilin power pilots are pretty decent. thats what i am going to be running this upcoming season..and stores on ebay sell them for allmost half the price a dealsership will charge you.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:57 PM

yea, i was just reading up on the michelin's on another threadand i think thats the way i'm going when it comes down to it! not to put down the dunlop's but experienced riders weren't too impressed with them and i guess that helped sway my decision...

Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 PM

I have dunlops on my bike right now and i am not impressed with them...they skid waaaay before the bike can turn to its full potential at high speeds...and they wore out in a hurry....

Old 01-24-2008, 07:14 PM

Oh also check out some of my threads..i ran one on the tire size you can fit...and it has the stock tire size for front and rear..and i guess you can fit 1 inch wider on the rear...anyway look at that and its all explained by other members...may help

Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 PM

Just put a set of Michelin Power Pilots on mine yesterday. Though I haven't gotten to ride very far yet, I can already feel the difference, and I like them so far (let you know when it rains). I would suggest not trying to squeeze the widest back tire you can onto your bike - mine had a 190 on the back when I bought itand handled terribly. Having now put on the original sizes and feeling the difference, Honda got it right the first time. 120 front, 160 rear

Keep us posted where you find your chain guard.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 PM

i was thinking about doing a 170 rear.....do you think even that one inch would affect the handling that bad?

Old 01-25-2008, 12:57 AM

I don't think a 170 would be bad. I'm sure a few of these guys in here have 170's or even 180's. But talk to your tire guy... mine recommended going back to stock size so the bike would handle properly. In the times I've seen tire talk in this forum, most seemed to agree to sticking close to stock size.

Here's a couple other posts to read

https://cbrforum.com/m_444180/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_459361/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_432183/tm.htm

All were helpful. And that last one was absolutely correct. My swingarm and chain bear the scars of that crap. But with my new stock sizes the bike flows perfectly.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:50 AM

i'm reading up on those posts you attached now so i'll comment when i get throughreading them...

i did wanna mention first that ilooked up the PENNSYLVANIAmotorcycle inspection criteria and found out that if the chain guard is missing it will not pass inspection, kinda blows but o well!! Here is the rest of the criteria for PA inspection if anyone is interested http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06.../s175.160.html
it may be another week until I decide on the chain guard. I'm gonna check some local shops first, then the local motorcycle salvage yard... depending on my results i may just get it on ebay for60-some dollars... i'll keep you updated either way...

Quick Reply: chain guard & tires