CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

CBR600F2 rim/sprocket question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600F2 rim/sprocket question

Hello all!

I'm a newb and need some help with deciding what sprocket combo is the best for my 92 F2.

I bought this bike a few weeks ago, and it came with aftermarket rims, I believe they are 18 inch by 6 inches and im running 180/55/17 on the back. 120/65/17 on the front. I'm not sure if I measured the height of the back rim correctly as it was still on the bike, so it could be a 17 inch by 6 inch rim.

I'm quite confused about what size sprockets to get. I believe the rear sprocket has 45 teeth, and I think I would like some more top speed without losing too much acceleration if any. If I have left any info out that you would need to help me with this, please tell me! And go easy on me haha, its my first sports bike :-)

Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM

Stock wheels are 17 inches for this bike. Looks like you're running a 17 inch tire and wheel because you're running a 180/55/17. The 180 is the width, the 55 is the height, and the 17 is the tire diameter.

Here is a good site that can explain it, and what all the leters mean that are thrown in with the numbers on the tire : https://www.denniskirk.com/help_center/tire-sizes.jsp

Then, if you want to keep it as is that's fine but a lot of people go for a little extra acceleration and forfeit a bit of top end. They do this by changing up the gearing a little bit, taking off or adding teeth to the sprockets to increase acceleration.

Check out gearingcommander.com and play around with it a little bit, it'll tell you how fast the bike goes on stock gearing, and aftermarket.

Also, if you weren't the first owner look at your sprockets and see how many teeth they are, they might be different and then you can find out what you like from there.

Good luck.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you also measure rim width from inside-to-inside, not outer-to-outer. This pic shows a 7" wide rim.

I'm curious what aftermarket rims you're running though - got pics? The stock Honda rims for our bikes are made by Enkei, and their logo was stamped in the wheel somewhere.

for sprockets stock gearing for our bikes is 15T front, 43T rear (530 width), Lot of people go -1 (front srocket) and +2(rear) - I did -1 +1, so a 14T front and a 44T rear. The stock gearing on our bikes isn't too bad at all though. this is done to improve response at lower speeds, it does affect top end any time you change the gearing - you can't adjust sprocket gearing to get you both better low end response and more top end speed. You have to find what you like. You'll spend a lot more time stoplight to stoplight than you will pulling up to terminal velocity. Most street races are won by the top end of 3rd gear, which is well into a friendly overnight stay at the local sherrif's office if caught.

Top speed for our bikes, depending on gearing, is still only going to be in the mid to high 140's before running out of breath in the motor. Stock gearing should get the bike knocking on 150 in theory, but that's at 12k RPM in 6th gear. I don't think our bikes will have the grunt to push that hard at that speed.

Also - ignore anyone's "top speed" claims if all they're using is the speedo. Most motorcycle speedos can have 10-15% factor of error. GPS is the heartbreaker there.

Simple truth here is that most guys bragging about doing ~160+ on their older 600's are lying through their teeth. The transmissions don't have the final drive gearing required to mechanically get to those speeds, even if the motor could push them there.

The newest generations of 600's can get into the 150's though, at least from a gearing point of view, which means they can probably get into the 140's without too much fanfare. Those bikes are also packing 20-30 more Hp than the 600's of our vintage.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 11-02-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Oh, - and stock tire sizes for our bikes is 160/60/17 in the rear, 120/60/17 in the front.

stock rear F2 rim is only 4.5" wide though, so the narrower tire actually fits better on the rim. Upgrading to the F3's 5" wide rear wheel or a CBR900's 5.5" rear wheel is a better choice if you really want to put the wider tire on there. The F3 wheel is direct fit, the 900 wheel requires some work. Although if you have aftermarket wheels, it doesn't matter, as matching the front doesn't matter anyway.

Lot of people like to go to the 180 in the rear for the look of a newer sportbike. It will start a huge debate whether or not this is a good thing. Just a heads up.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 11-02-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Thanks a bunch for the responses guys, and I will definitely check out those sites.

Its great to meet some people with the same bike, I'll post some pics of mine. I love this bike, it's like my baby, just changed the oil today and trying to get new sprockets and chain soon. So I do in fact have a 45 on the back so Im guessing the guy before me did the -1/+2 since the stock is 43 in the back?

Anyways here are the pics

photo sharing websites

upload photo

Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM

that's a good looking bike! I've seen those wheels on something before - def custom though.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 AM

If only it ran good. Ugh I'm so pissed it randomly started sounding like a lawnmower and sputters so pisssssed

Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those wheels are PM Chicane's, by the way, which have been polished - the "PM" is for Performance Machine.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 AM

sounds like a carb or ignition issue, possibly not on all 4 cylinders?

I remember seeing a gixxer with those wheels, powdercoated a matte gunmetal grey - looked mean on a silver bike.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 AM

I think it was the gas, because I filled up from BP and its all fine now, weird...

Quick Reply: CBR600F2 rim/sprocket question