CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Carb rebuilding parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, thanks guys. Kept stalling on me again today. Its odd in that I could have starting issues and I try and give it throttle and it dies, yet it will start again on choke. if the bike suddenly revs to 5k while on full choke, I know I'm good to go. So It seems really odd to me that a stuck float or valve on one carb would cause such a problem. I'm almost thinking I have a fuel delivery issue as well. Maybe I need to rebuild my petcock? is there a kit for this? Don't want to spend the $150 on a new one.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 AM

If the main jets are blocked it will run badly when you give it some welly. When you run it with the choke it puts more fuel into the system, so the bike then picks up again. If you want to check the petcock, unplug the main fuel line from the carbs and see if fuel pours out. If it does, its working and save your money. If the petcock has a little tube on the back of it, it may run off a vaccuum (from the engine when runnig). Put some negative pressure on this smaller tube and the fuel should flow ok. Don't suck the main fuel line unless you want a mouthful of petrol. Start with cleaning the carbs as the thread explains, then take it from there. The amount of money you want to spend, it'd be cheaper to take it to a mechanic!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM

Sounds like the issue is from 6k to idle.

That's a guaranteed idle circuit problem. Not idle jet's, idle circuit. Typically the pilot jets clog first so start there and then work your way out.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Ok thanks guys. A cleaning of the float bowl and the jets are in order, hopefully for this weekend. I know I do have a sticking valve issue since I filled a cylinder and exhaust with fuel one day. Had to start shutting off the tank since then when I pull in to park. This all started after some new plugs and a tank with fuel cleaner in it. I'm thinking I just cleaned a lot of junk right into the worst places.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:36 PM

OK, pulled the carbs apart finally this morning. Cleaned all 4 float bowls and the two jets I could take out in each one. Removed the valve and float as well and sprayed everything out really good. I found the jets in the carb all the way on the left were pretty bad, some of the holes were clogged. All the rest looked clean, but I gave them a once over anyway. I noticed that the vacuum for the petcock seems to come off this cylinder, so maybe that was also my problem. The other thing I noticed was that I may have pinched the small vent tube coming off the tank. I'm thinking if that was pinched, fuel may not have been able to flow to the carbs. Not sure about that one though as I'm not 100% sure what that line does.

Anyway, fired up with little cranking and I immediately noticed a much, much sharper throttle response. Back to how the bike was a year or two back. For sure way better than it has been this year. Looking forward to riding tomorrow and getting an idea if I got things right. Thanks to all.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely need to order 4 sets of seals.