Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cam Chain Theory

Mike , I wrote "incorrect"

Old 06-11-2006, 06:37 AM

JK , you cannot visually inspect the cct for wear . If it is worn , loud pipe or not , you will hear it ! normally when engine is warm and at about 4000rpm . Would suggest that you have a fuel / electrical problem causing your poor running , as I said a cam chain fault will either stop the bike completely or it will run bad all the time if it has skipped 1 tooth .
Jimmer.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:16 AM

thanks for the reply jimmer. I think you are right about the fuel problem, I just calculated that I am getting ~37 mpg when I read that others are getting ~50 mpg.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:38 PM

37 mpg ain't that bad . Depends how you ride , I get no more than 36 out of mine now that I am used to it but I know that it is running quite rich , but I ain't going to change anything because it goes well as it is . Worth checking your plugs and ht leads first as it's easier than removing your carbs but it does sound more like a fuel problem though .
Jimmer.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:50 AM

the genunine honda cam chain tensioners are ****, buy a manual tensioner and all you will have to do is tweek it up every service, no big drama.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:52 PM

Where do you get one of these manual chain tensioners? APE right? Mine makes a bit of noise on start up, but not once it's running. How involved is installing the tensioner?

Old 08-22-2006, 01:17 AM

APE tensioners can be found a number of places, just run a google on it.

The procedure it self is just hard enough I say let a pro do it. One thing you do not mess with is cam timing. Just ask Suzuki about 2001/2002 GSXR's and how many engines they bought back.

If you are worried about your tensioner, put your ear near the right side of the engine head when you cold start it. Listen for a rattling noise. A little for a few seconds is acceptable, as oil pressure comes up. After that.. swap it.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: wayne_carey

the genunine honda cam chain tensioners are ****, buy a manual tensioner and all you will have to do is tweek it up every service, no big drama.
Sorry have to disagree with you on the Honda tensioners being ****. as you call it, you have to be really careful with these manual tensioners, because most of you don't know what your doing! Putting too much tension on the cam chain is gonna cause it to wear out real soon, & thats just what your doing if your tightening EVERY SERVICE,
The right way to make sure you have enough tension on the cam chain with a manual CCT is to take the CAM COVER OFF and feel the tension on the chain,

The main reason the HONDA CCTs fail is 'cause people don't realise the gasket only goes on 1 way, put it on the wrong way & it causes excess oil pressure in the CCT making it fail over time,

most of you with little or no mechanical knowledge are gonna be in this thread again in 12 monthes wanting to know how much or how to change the Cam chain, because they overtightened the CCT, I wish I was wrong and hope you prove me wrong but we'll see in a year.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:30 AM

I dont know, it seems like every CBR from the Hurricanes to F4is had CCT problems. Is also common on 929's and XX's. I know Honda can make good ones, but why they dont'/havent is beyond me. I've heard guys say the CCT for a 599 (Hornet) works on an F3 and is solid. The XX guys use the one off a Japan only X-11 and it's a brick. Why can't we get good ones for these bikes.

Manual tensioners are fine if you follow the directions on adjusting them.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:36 AM

i got a 1992 250 fireblade an i dont have a clue how this chain works where it is or what i need to move can any one help ...

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Theory