CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

buying a used CBR 600

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at this bike again. Lots of cosmetic damage, but I am more concerned with mechanics. The stator(I think its the stator-ride side of motor) cover is missing and there are wires hanging from it. The bike was laid down on that side during a wreck the last time it was ridden. If the stator had to be replaced, how serious is that? WIll I have to take the motor apart?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Stator should have 3 yellow wires. Its not TOO hard to replace, make sure you can find one cheap to install and make sure its worth your time replacing it.
You will need an impact driver.
The only part of the engine you need to take apart would be taking off the left side cover (which you said is already off/missing) And then removing the stator. No other dissassembly should be required.

Also stator is on the Left side of the engine, Right side of the engine is the clutch and Pulse generator.

If its how i picture the bike, I wouldnt pay more then $2-300 for it. New fairings sets $5-600, stator fix will run you around $100-150 for the stator and cover.
Plus another $150 or so if the chain/sprockets are worn

Just be sure you know what you're getting into before you buy it.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 AM

thank you for the advice. The problem is definitely on the right side of the motor. Pulse generator? Looks like the inside of an alternator with windings.

Tires and sprockets are good, and all fluids checked out ok.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That doesn't seem right. Right side of the motor has access for the clutch, and the pulse generator sprocket/ cam chain cover.

Stator is all on the left side of the bike. I can't think of anything on the right side that would have windings.
Name:  cbr600f2.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  61.1 KB

right behind the CBR sticker on the fairing is the stator cover:
Inside it looks like this:

Name:  statorsetwithstartergear.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  184.7 KB

Here you can see on my bike that I have the pulse generator inspection cover removed for inspection. The round cover is part of a larger cover that is held on by around 10 small bolts - that is the access to the cam chain and pulse generator. There would be 2 wires/1 wiring harness going into this cover for the pickup of the pulse signal.

Behind that cover is the clutch cover. I don't think that is the cover you mention being off, cause that would mean there's no oil in the bike, and you said fluids check out.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM

I was wrong. I asked the seller and he said it was the left side. (I have a bad memory!)

Will probably pick it up later this week. Im going to try and talk him down to around the $400 mark. Will keep you all posted. Should have it in my possession by Saturday.

Will probably rip off all the bad plastics and concentrate on mechanical issues just to get it running for starters. Looks like the stator will be one of the first items to tackle.

Thank you for the help guys.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM

It's nit picking, but $400 is probably too much. It's a bike that has been down and down hard. It's been abused, and the guy must not know **** since he's not fixing it himself. A running bike will always sell for more.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by bicklebok
I was wrong. I asked the seller and he said it was the left side. (I have a bad memory!)

Will probably pick it up later this week. Im going to try and talk him down to around the $400 mark. Will keep you all posted. Should have it in my possession by Saturday.

Will probably rip off all the bad plastics and concentrate on mechanical issues just to get it running for starters. Looks like the stator will be one of the first items to tackle.

Thank you for the help guys.
Don't pay $400. It doesnt run (could need serious engine work that you wont know about til after you fire it up) , Needs a new stator ($150+), no fairings ($500+ for a whole kit), R/R probably needs replaced ($50-$100), And then you have all the misc things like oil, filter, coolant so thats another $50-100....And if it needs anything else (most likely will when you get into it) Thats even more...If the tires are bad thats a good $300 bucks.

Not trying to discourage you, But I wouldnt pay $400 for it. I'd say maybe $300 or even less. Theres a lot of good deals out there for bikes that RUN. Just look around.

If he doesnt have a clean title with it don't even bother either...

Old 07-19-2010, 03:52 PM

i have 2 bikes that are in good shape. I was just looking to buy this one as a project bike. The tires, sprockets and chain are good. With only 15,000 miles, I was thinking it should be pretty solid mechanically. Thats a big risk.

I dont mind if it takes work, I just dont want to spend an arm and a leg trying to make something out of it. It was running and laid down and messed up the stator. That owner sold it to the guy i am looking to buy it from. He said it had good compression but thats all he knows. He doesnt have the money (and probably knowledge) to work on it.

Thanks for the advice. I will sure give it some consideration now. May be too much for me to tackle.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Well, against the better advice given to me here, Im going to pick up the bike tomorrow. if anyone has some tips on the stator wiring please let me know.l This bike will have lots of maintenance items to do Im sure, but the wires hanging down from the stator will be one of my top items. I downloaded the service manual but its hard to tell where the wires go.

I will be embarrassed, but I will post some pics of the bike next week sometime.

My daughter will be 14 in a couple of years and I would love for her to have it some day. She can already ride a motorcycle very well.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:23 PM

How much are you paying??

If they stator is destroyed you need a new one, If its intact but the 3 yellow wires are just dangling there, You can re-connect them to your R/R, Doesn't matter which yellow wire goes where.

The bike will still be able to run without a stator, It will run straight off the battery though, So it will drain the battery and the bike will stall when the battery is depleted.

Hope you're getting a good deal for it!

Good luck

Quick Reply: buying a used CBR 600